Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

LG demos wireless 4K Ultra HD streaming [34688]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can anything look better on Panasonic TV then on any other quality 3D TV is beyond me. Did you even try watching that movie on any other similarly priced TV? New AMVA from Sammy should give much better image, 3D or 2D.

It CAME with the Panasonic! It was MADE for panasonic

It's official. Panasonic has teamed up with Twentieth Century Fox to offer the 3D Blu-ray version of Avatar free with Panasonic's Viera 3D TVs when bought with either a 3D Blu-ray player or 3D home cinema system.

The deal follows Panasonic's work with Twentieth Century Fox on the 3D authoring of Avatar on Blu-ray at the Japanese firm's Hollywood Laboratory advanced authoring centre in California.

Laurent Abadie, CEO and chairman of Panasonic Europe, says: "Through our exclusive bundling deal with Twentieth Century Fox to offer Avatar on 3D Blu-ray disc, we are bringing this iconic cinematographic experience to consumers across Europe, to enjoy the beauty and excitement of Pandora in 3D in their own home."

The Avatar offer applies to anyone who purchases a new Full HD 3D Panasonic Viera TV (such as the VT20 and GT20 series) package, which includes two pairs of active-shutter 3D glasses and a Panasonic DMP-BDT300 3D Blu-ray player, or a 3D TV/3D all-in-one home cinema combo.

Where have you been hiding? Laughing

Last edited by Sabot on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CES 2009: Panasonic to open 3D Full HD authoring centre in Hollywood
8 Jan 2009

Panasonic has today confirmed its new Hollywood Laboratory Advanced Authoring Centre for 3D high-definition TV will open on February 1st, 2009.

The centre, which will be located within the Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory in Universal City, CA, will accelerate the development of 3D Full HDTV (3D FHD) on Blu-ray disc and work directly with the Hollywood film studios to provide development services for 3D high-definition Blu-ray titles.

The company says the facility will be equipped with a plasma 3D Full HD home cinema system, a 3D-ready digital cinema projector (Theatrical Dolby 3D system) with a 380in screen, and a 3D-ready MPEG4 AVC high-profile encoder.

As we reported yesterday, Panasonic is confident it will bring high-definition 3D TV products to market by 2010.

"Panasonic recognises that for 3D FHD to succeed, just like Blu-ray, collaboration on reserach and development with studios and content providers is absolutely essential," says Eisuke Tsuyuzaki, managing director of Panasonic's Hollywood Laboratory.

"Panasonic is working assiduously with the Hollywood studios and Blu-Ray Disc Association to promote the 3D FHD system. The creation of the new Authoring Centre will enable Hollywood to start trial production and ultimately create commercially available 3D FHD titles."
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more lol

http://3dvision-blog.com/3820-watch-avatar-in-stereo-3d-with-james-camerons-preferred-settings/

Panasonic has made available a special page, dedicated to providing James Cameron’s Preferred Settings for watching Avatar in 3D on a Panasonic 3D HDTV and these settings take advantage of the “Advanced (isfccc)” mode that the television sets have. This initiative is due to the fact that the company is bundling their line of Viera 3D-capable Plasma HDTVs along with a Blu-ray 3D version of the movie Avatar, an exclusive deal that probably will delay further the availability of the movie as a standalone product. And I’m curious if these settings are recommended just for watching Avatar, or they will be good for watching movies in general… I will have to try them and compare to the default THX settings for example when I start testing my new Panasonic VT20E HDTV, although I do not have Avatar on Blu-ray 3D yet Wink
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ask again: Have you tried watching Avatar 3D on samsung's new or newer VA panels? If you only watched it on panasonic TV, how do you know that all that isn't just a marketing gimmick and doesn't really offer anything special that other brands do not offer under different name?

After all, Blue-ray is Sony's child.

I mean, let's face it, Cameron is full of shit 24/7...(his preferred setting? Dude has his own home theater and I am pretty sure he doesn't watch TV in the kitchen lol and how many times did he watch Avatar? How do you set DLP's to project Avatar in setting other than it's setup to project? Like I said, Cameron is full of shit) And as for plasma, burnins, heat, flickering, buzzing...no thanks...I am yet to see one that doesn't suffer from one or all of those. I have been shown some panasonics that people swore to me that they don't suffer from any of those, and they did...Burn-in is inevitable after all.

Last edited by gx-x on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
Panasonic: Plazma, back in the day. Now they buy panels from Sammy and LG, still produce some plazma screens, but plazma is crap anyway so who cares.

I still have A plasma and it's A Panasonic.

Fuck You
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
gx-x wrote:
Panasonic: Plazma, back in the day. Now they buy panels from Sammy and LG, still produce some plazma screens, but plazma is crap anyway so who cares.

Fuck You

it's still crap Very Happy
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
I ask again: Have you tried watching Avatar 3D on samsung's new or newer VA panels? If you only watched it on panasonic TV, how do you know that all that isn't just a marketing gimmick and doesn't really offer anything special that other brands do not offer under different name?

I mean, let's face it, Cameron is full of shit 24/7...(his preferred setting? Dude has his own home theater and I am pretty sure he doesn't watch TV in the kitchen lol and how many times did he watch Avatar? How do you set DLP's to project Avatar in setting other than it's setup to project? Like I said, Cameron is full of shit) And as for plasma, burnins, heat, flickering, buzzing...no thanks...I am yet to see one that doesn't suffer from one or all of those. I have been shown some panasonics that people swore to me that they don't suffer from any of those, and they did...Burn-in is inevitable after all.

Holly fuck, here's you dictating to ME and I'm the one owning Avatar MADE for my bloody Panasonic set. Your unreal......
I don't give a toss about your opinion about Cameron, I stated it was made for Panasonic at their studios and it still never sunk in! Why would I want to view a bloody blu ray made for my tv on another bloody set!!
You HAVEN'T seen it, yet you dictate as if......
No the new versions of plasmas do not do burn in, nether do they consume the power of the older versions and are THINNER than most LCDs
Jesus do your homework and at least own a new version of a Panasonic before spouting rubbish, with zero bases. Yeah you own my model
Of Panasonic...no wait, you seen them all. And know, cause you know.
Fuck are you talking about, heat buzzing, flickering??? You are totally stupid now, 600hz flicker free, LCD flickers!
Give it a fucking break, man.
I have a Sony Bravia 46" above my 46" Panasonic vt20. I think I can judge better. I also have passive and active 3d sets.
Rolling Eyes
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I walk into Costco, those wall-size plasmas do look good.
Would I invest if I had the money? Probably not. It's hard to take "the new plasmas do not suffer from these" at face value - I never really researched it.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:
gx-x wrote:

Holly fuck, here's you dictating to ME and I'm the one owning Avatar MADE for my bloody Panasonic set. Your unreal......
I don't give a toss about your opinion about Cameron, I stated it was made for Panasonic at their studios and it still never sunk in! Why would I want to view a bloody blu ray made for my tv on another bloody set!!
You HAVEN'T seen it, yet you dictate as if......
No the new versions of plasmas do not do burn in, nether do they consume the power of the older versions and are THINNER than most LCDs
Jesus do your homework and at least own a new version of a Panasonic before spouting rubbish, with zero bases. Yeah you own my model
Of Panasonic...no wait, you seen them all. And know, cause you know.
Fuck are you talking about, heat buzzing, flickering??? You are totally stupid now, 600hz flicker free, LCD flickers!
Give it a fucking break, man.
I have a Sony Bravia 46" above my 46" Panasonic vt20. I think I can judge better. I also have passive and active 3d sets.
Rolling Eyes

look, you are talking about Avatar made for your TV as if it looks forse on other 3D TVs, not me. And I have seen plenty of plasmas, ipses and VA TVs. More then you would even assume I did. As for new plasmas, they burn in and are not flicker free. This can be confirmed to you by every person that actually works in service shop and takes them for service or RMA, like two of my friends actually do. So believe what you want, I have my info first hand from guys that have dealt with thousands of TVs and you have 2...(yes yes, I know this sounds cheeky and childish, but it's the truth and there is no other way of saying it :S )
And they certainly are not thinner than modern LED LCDTVs (talking about research...this is at least easy to check isn;t it?!), the best one (from samsung) is as thin at best. Razz

and their plasma:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51E8000GFXZA-gallery

They have power consumption improved but they are still way more power hungry then LCDTV equivalents.

Also, how come there are ZERO professional grade equipment made using plasma screens? No video monitors, no desktop monitors, nothing. Why? I'll tell you why - they are inferior in reproduction.

PS. Please don't give me that bullshit about having to own a panasonic TV to have a right to write about one. That's just stupid. If I wanted to buy a 3D TV it certainly wouldn't be a panasonic, let alone a plasma TV. Everyone can enter a store a test a TV, I don't have to buy one, but that's not the point.

PPS. We have totally different opinions on this whole TV and 3D thing, and also about Avatar the movie so I don;t see the point of discussing this further. Buy what you think is the best thing for you. Seeing how you Have Sony Bravia AND Panasonic plasma I think it's best if we just agree to disagree.

cheers buddy o/
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise that something like 1 in 10 people can't see 3d and suffer from refresh flicker, regardless of LCD or plasma and/or price? I can see refresh flicker on 200hz LCDs and with 3d on 200hz LCD sets. Personally went into Sony, LG and Panasonic centres to view sets. The Sony was £3000 and 55" yet it was terrible for me the flicker. My wife couldn't see it. The only sets that displayed pure motion with zero cross-talk or ghosting was the Panasonic. The most natural colours were Panasonic, which after all plasma is the nearest to CRT. THX certification is on plasma. LCD are just fake and too bright and unnatural. Some people love it, I don't. LCD is good for bright lit environments and sunny days.
Obviously I don't see 'flicker' on my panny, so it's just unfortunate for people and I prefer to make my own judgement on products and never go with the masses opinion.
One thing that is shit on newer tvs is sound. My Bravia is 6years old and produces incredible surround sound as it has a fuller speaker bar.
The panny is output through a £1,000 7.1 true HD system as its sound is shit.

Btw, my panny is now just going on 3years old and I have gamed on it PC on it and watch 3d or blu ray films every weekend.
I don't really care about consumption or heat-not that it's particularly hot, it isn't. My psu on my pc is 650w and being a gamer yourself, you don't go, I ain't buying a gpu cause it hits 108c. It's about performance and reliability. I have a free 5 year warranty on my panny, that's all that matters.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't clear on the flicker thing (though you are right about refresh flicker), it isn't refresh flicker, it's backlight flicker or something, it's very very fast and you can't see it usually but once you see it you cannot un-see it. It's something like CRT flicker on 120Hz, some people don't see it all, some people see it all the time once they see it once. I saw it recently on samsungs 7500 series plasma in store. My friend was arguing with me that flicker is present even on that one, I was in disbelief but then I saw it when I payed attention. Again, it is impossible (or improbable? ) that is refresh rate flicker, he is one of those friends that works in IT service shop, he told me it is something related to backlight not always being in sync with plasma firing or something like that...We were looking at regular 2D, not 3D projection. But, once you start looking at the content on the screen you don't notice the flicker anymore.

I have never seen such a thing on LCD panels. I guess they simply don't have to sync backlight freq. with actual LCD. Especially with LED backlit panels. (sammy 8000 series LED is just mindblowing)

PS. You don't really draw 650 watts out of PSU. This is another story and unrelated to TVs. TV is always drawing near it's max spec (when it is working ofc), PSU is rated at watts and temperature. For instance, my 750W PSU is rated at 750W at 85% efficiency BUT as long as temps are <55 Celsius. It is also designed in such a way that it can actually maintain <55C at that output. The thing here is that if you draw only 400W from it, it will be both efficient and cool at the same time so you won't get near 55C. I measured my system (with an APC that shows power draw on it's display) consumption while playing Crysis 2 with dx11 and high res texture pack and it was roughly 390 Watts. If I needed actual 750 watts I would go for 1000W PSU to maintain low temps and efficiency. IMO, you can't make an overkill with PSU.
Also, no, I am not conserned with power consumption of graphic cards. But that is mainly because we are talking about 10-20% difference between models, and we are talking about (usually) under 200 watts (TITAN draws 250W...). There is not much to talk about. If card overheats it get's RMA-ed. And I can RMA stuff all day long, in the end I usually get better stuff Razz

On the other hand, you don't have control over that (power) when you buy a TV. And in all seriousness, I saw an 80" plasma that draws 1000 watts. Granted, it is a model from a few years back but 1000 watts? I wouldn't buy ANY GPU that uses that much power. Sure, 3 years ago IPS panels or VA panels didn't have deep black as they have today and that plasma had it, but 1000 watts? Electricity is not free dammit. I can run 2 split systems A/Cs with those watts, and one is needed to cool that beast anyway. o.O

I am not ignorant though. I know new plasmas draw much less and are in ~150W range at that's fine. No complaint's there. But a true 1080P plasma that draws ~150W, is thin and is 40+ " is god damn expensive compared to LCDTV of the same size, and LCDTVs have gone very far in 3 years too!

I mentioned earlier that friend and I were looking at sammy's 7500 series plasma. There was 7500 series and 8000 series LCDTV (AMVA panel) next to it, difference is very slight. Blacks are very near and in some typical movie scene, where not everything is black you won't know the difference.

Also,avoiding burn-in has been greatly improved but it is still there, it is a possibility. Scary one. My friend has burned in windows taskbar in his plasma bcs he uses it as a primary display for htpc that he also uses all the time for browsing from the couch...and it isn't even 2 years old yet.

I cannot comment on sound or speakers on TVs. I don't use them, nor does anyone I know. (except for basic TV channels). I have a big JBL systems that costs more than 55" 3D TV and I never compromise on sound. Even on my PC I have a small JBL set. I was raised that way I guess...Sound bars or 25W TV speakers just don't cut it for me.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
Baconnaise wrote:
gx-x wrote:

Fuck You

it's still crap Very Happy

On a serious note I wish the one I had was lately. I've been eyeballing a new TV but this panny won't fucking die nor cease to impress. The speakers alone blow anything you can get now out of the water. I think it even has a sub in there or some shit it's scary good. Supports cablecard has built in guide sd card and more on in todays term old ass set. I was looking to pickup a new 55" Sammy most likely due to dlna streaming reviews atm not to mention the deals (four pairs of 3d goggles on a top o da line set in 2012 for close to a grand is good imo).

Anyhoo you guys have fun Smile
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gx-x, I understand now what you are talking about I researched this 'flicker' many years back, its what some folks call a 'rainbow effect' when glancing the tv in a sweeping motion with your eyes. Again it's something that you actively see and therefore can't forgive when you have. Bit like tearing in PC gaming.
Though it bothers some people but not others?
Like I said about LCD being unnatural in colour and temp. I have Bravia engine 1 and 2, pissed about with every setting going but found nothing that I can honestly say, made me a happy viewer.
The biggy for me, apart from natural rich blacks and colours, nothing beats plasma for deep blacks-not grey or washed out panels Wink was the intelligent motion creation engine. Boy that in fps and racing was just like real life driving etc. no blurring, razor sharp detail and films were made to look as if they were always filmed live.
Clever effect indeed.
Quote:
600Hz Sub-field Drive with Intelligent Frame Creation Pro
To ensure smooth and judder-free pictures, VIERA NeoPDP employs innovative 600Hz Sub-field Drive with Intelligent Frame Creation Pro. This is a Panasonic's unique image-analysis processor that converts the motion in each scene into sub-fields. The sub-fields are then optimised to display fast action scene in Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution with amazingly smooth motion. Each frame is displayed for a shorter length of time than in previous processor - virtually eliminating unsightly smearing & after effects.

Anyway, we all have our likes and dislikes, which is why there is hundreds of TVs to fit our tastes, and I wouldn't have it any other way Cool
Cheers.

Oh, and our Panasonic comes with free view HD tv tuner and built in satellite HD tuner(which we are using) SD card slot, ability to record onto normal pc hdd via USB and wireless network as standard.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, everything can be calibrated, except maybe that Bravia of yours Very Happy I fiddled with samsung and LG LCDTVs and since I have a colorimeter that I use on my monitors (for professional work with photos/prints) I have some good reference points for tests and I can jack the colorimeter onto TV and to calibrate it, but that will only work if they are connected to PC bcs they cannot support color profile on their own (well, 99% of them can't).
I can also "fix" image reproduction by eye if I put some images that I know how they are supposed to look on calibrated screen.
Anyway, correct colors don't mean better experience for viewing movies. For movies I find that more saturation is welcome. That is a matter of taste ofc.

as for blacks, I said earlier, panels from 3 years ago had black @ 0.35/0.4 (0 being pitch black) versus plasma screens 0.15/0.12. Now ips panels can have 0.2/0.25 blacks and even lower with grid backlit panels (like LG does in their new TVs). Those are LED strips that are no longer only on top and bottom, now there are 10~20 strips across the whole panel, from top to bottom and they dynamically change how much light to put out, if at all. So for instance if upper part of an image is sky and lower part is some...shade from a building, lower led strips will output less light, will retain contrast but will give even deeper blacks so contrast actually gets higher.
It's hard to describe but trust me, it works and black are...black Smile Still not plasma black but very close.
Still can't beat 600Hz engine but 120Hz LCDTV is super smooth. There are 200Hz ones if 120Hz ones are not enough (they certainly are for me).
So yea, there is a lot of choice atm, but those plasmas and LCDs that are very good cost way too much money IMO, and in 500$ range I am yet to see a good plasma TV. They don't come even close to your Pannasonic, and I am sure even you would hear them buzz and see them flicker Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: