Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Skullgirls dev asking 150k to create DLC character [34687]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are laws in Serbia about renting but none cares about them except companies that have lot of units for rent. I don't "report" my residents nor the income from renting. That would shave of 50% of the rent income, and rent income is really small here, around 100-150 euros for something like furnished efficiency (but units are actually small condos, you don't "live" with anyone). Places like 2/2 are ~200e and they cost ~60-70K €
Utilities are much cheaper here. For the units I mentioned they are up to 150€

As for food, I have bad eating habits. I usually just have launch around 3pm and "dinner" around 11pm which is usually just a sandwich or two. I don't mind having BBQ for launch, I love BBQ actually Very Happy Ofc at least twice a week I would need to eat something cocked like "sarma" or "cabbage with meat", "gulag" "Paprikash" or something like that Smile I can cook all of those, I just need ingredients Smile

What "scares" me the most is the size of the city and the area in general. Capital of Serbia has ~3 mil population, compared to US cities that's a village. I traveled to Cairo several times, 20 mil pop. Kinda scary and disorienting o.O (but Cairo is a different animal, they don't even have traffic lights on majority of roads bcs that just doesn't work for traffic).

Again, thanks for the insight! Much appreciated!
cheers.
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gx-x, lol, here in Bulgaria is the same deal..... even worse than Serbia, if you ask me..... Ex-communism man, no way thing will get better in the near future, or ever....

Half of my family is in the US, NYC so there a 1200-1300 $ will just keep you alive. One night at a bar and a cab back home might/will cost you 100-200 or more bucks, depending where you spend them Laughing

Its not easy to migrate somewhere, specially in US things are not cool at all.

My advice is look for Canada or EU. Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Austria...

I get that you are a fellow colleague from the games industry ?
Dont think youll have a problem finding a job in EU Wink
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tride wrote:
Hey gx-x, lol, here in Bulgaria is the same deal..... even worse than Serbia, if you ask me..... Ex-communism man, no way thing will get better in the near future, or ever....

Half of my family is in the US, NYC so there a 1200-1300 $ will just keep you alive. One night at a bar and a cab back home might/will cost you 100-200 or more bucks, depending where you spend them Laughing

Its not easy to migrate somewhere, specially in US things are not cool at all.

My advice is look for Canada or EU. Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Austria...

I get that you are a fellow colleague from the games industry ?
Dont think youll have a problem finding a job in EU Wink

Canada maybe, but others you have mentioned are simply not for me. Language, cold...One of the reasons I want to move is because I am bored and tired of Balkans. I've traveled to Germany, Norway and Holland (as a tourist) and I don't like those countries (climate, not countries themselves). It's not about the money...I have friends in some of those places and they shovel snow, work, shovel snow some more then watch TV, then sleep, then shovel snow...fuck that. I'd rather be poor and living on the beach, then shovel snow and have heaps of cash. No offense to people there, they are used to it, I am not. Snow and cold makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

PS. I would like to work in game industry anywhere, but I am not from game industry. I am more from "print/publishing media" since I am a graphics designer and I had to learn to do pre-press, and operate press machines, and cutting machines and other machines. Why would company hire 4 people when they can hire one and teach him how to do everything...Well, I had it. If at least they payed decently so I can have a beer after work. But mostly salary is late for 2-3 months, they don't register you for pension and health care...I have been working here for 14 years and I have 3 years of pension funds to my name. %&@$%&# I live like an illegal alien in my own country, might as well go somewhere else. I doubt that it can be harder than it already is.

PPS. I gave up night life long time ago. I have no intention to spend 200$ in bars. I am perfectly fine with house parties and drinks from supermarket :d

edit: thanks for the suggestions though. I know as well as you do that this whole region is a shithole no matter what nationalists and patriots say. It's mainly bcs of them that it is a shithole in the first place so screw them. They can have it.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada isn't that bad but it's more cold and snow for you. Canadians are one of the top tourists to Florida besides Germans and people from the New England area. I used to hit up Canada once a year at one point and stay at a cabin on a lake and go fishing in the summer only Wink. Sounds like you want a warmer climate which is cool. The club med or countries like Italy and Spain are going to shit which is a shame. Barcelona was cool but Italy was kind of dirty even up near my relatives. I can't blame you for wanting to get out of that area especially when Greece is going through the BS with the whole nazis 2.0 running around. Thankfully they are an insignificant country.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh, you are driving me mad guys Smile I want to go to US of A because if/when I gain full green card I will at least have a chance to choose where I want to live. Hot, medium, cold, whatever Smile USA has it all. I am just worried about natural disasters, I have never seen one for real :S Kinda scary those things you have there.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point since I can't really think of a perfectly safe area to live. I've been through two hurricanes in Florida both with the eyes being a couple miles away from my personal residence. It's not fun being without power for a couple weeks and having the neighborhood flooded with storm water. Midwest is usually safe but there is the Madrid fault as the first earthquake I ever felt was in Illinois (shook my mother's plates on the walls). Tornadoes can be a problem as well. I've seen quite a few but only one when I was kid went through our yard and ripped out a peach tree (knocked over a huge old tree onto our garage from the neighbors as well). That's the closest that one was dangerous. The ole miss river is very dangerous but has been as tamed as it can be with the levee system.

I think your choice of Georgia/Atlanta is a good safe area if you're worried about that stuff. Best thing is if the ocean levels rise Florida will disappear and you might have beachfront property!
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
That's a good point since I can't really think of a perfectly safe area to live. I've been through two hurricanes in Florida both with the eyes being a couple miles away from my personal residence. It's not fun being without power for a couple weeks and having the neighborhood flooded with storm water. Midwest is usually safe but there is the Madrid fault as the first earthquake I ever felt was in Illinois (shook my mother's plates on the walls). Tornadoes can be a problem as well. I've seen quite a few but only one when I was kid went through our yard and ripped out a peach tree (knocked over a huge old tree onto our garage from the neighbors as well). That's the closest that one was dangerous. The ole miss river is very dangerous but has been as tamed as it can be with the levee system.

I think your choice of Georgia/Atlanta is a good safe area if you're worried about that stuff. Best thing is if the ocean levels rise Florida will disappear and you might have beachfront property!

earthquakes are fine by me. I had those. The rest is scary (I am not going into spelling of other disasters Razz ). I thought GA is safe but then it happened...oh well...
You are correct about everything else. I don't want to go to worse climate then I am already in. I think if given the opportunity, I would prefer earthquakes in CA than storms in FA. IF one can choose...it's just a dream.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: