Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Unreal Engine 4 'Elemental' Demo Running on PS4 [34657]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Unreal Engine 4 'Elemental' Demo Running on PS4 [34657] Reply with quote

Epic Games has released a real-time demonstration of Unreal Engine 4 running on the PlayStation 4.

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I like the mix of console and pc gaming is its guaranteed to work optimised out the box on a ps3/4. It's still amazing what the ps3 can still chuck about, something no 7yr old pc could do with today's games.
The only downside now though is the change to 'always on the net' on ps4/xbox 180 or 360 lol and/or the second hand gaming market being screwed. These are biggies and will surely test the waters of these two big time!
Least I can play on my ps3 anywhere with no net and on holiday. When I'm at home the big rig gets played.
Looking forward to more news on the ps4 and games. Cool
Watch dogs, looks excellent.
djnforce9
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:
The only downside now though is the change to 'always on the net' on ps4/xbox 180 or 360 lol and/or the second hand gaming market being screwed. These are biggies and will surely test the waters of these two big time!

Here is hoping those rumours are not confirmed to be true. So far every news outlet quotes the same source: "Edge Magazine" who don't actually cite their sources (they just claim they know people who are in the industry but nobody cannot verify those claims).

Anyway, to address the other part of your post, it seems this is one of the first generations of PC's to already be up to par with the new consoles. You are absolutely right that 2005 or 2006 could not run the games on consoles at the time and it was an even wider gap back in 2001 when the Xbox/PS2 came out. Now I think PC's are already caught up. Those Square-Enix benchmarks were run on high end PC hardware originally after all.

Nevertheless, having a DX11.1 capable device out of the box for less than $500 is wicked!
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djnforce9 wrote:
Stumpus wrote:

Here is hoping those rumours are not confirmed to be true. So far every news outlet quotes the same source: "Edge Magazine" who don't actually cite their sources (they just claim they know people who are in the industry but nobody cannot verify those claims).

Anyway, to address the other part of your post, it seems this is one of the first generations of PC's to already be up to par with the new consoles. You are absolutely right that 2005 or 2006 could not run the games on consoles at the time and it was an even wider gap back in 2001 when the Xbox/PS2 came out. Now I think PC's are already caught up. Those Square-Enix benchmarks were run on high end PC hardware originally after all.

Nevertheless, having a DX11.1 capable device out of the box for less than $500 is wicked!

Even in the past games for consoles were heavily optimized for that specific hardware. PC titles are more or less a generic base to run on a large list of variable hardware from many manufacturers. You can squeeze every resource out of a console which is nearly impossible on the PC then and now. Comparisons are disingenuous and pointless. PC gaming easily outpaces consoles even more when you factor in some optimizations and customizations that consoles are privy to. I don't understand the whole caught up or behind comment as a consoles hardware is never ahead in that regard.

DX11 under 500? It's been around for almost three years and can be had for peanuts. It's surprising to me that DX9 which has been around for around a decade is still in widespread use. DX10 was hardly used and really didn't offer much of a benefit in games besides better shadows for years. DX11 isn't necessarily better but being forced this time around unlike DX10 by MS. I would be more impressed if I saw more usage of OpenGL instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: