Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Windows 7 (32-bit / 64-bit) Utilities (updated) [30279]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Windows 7 (32-bit / 64-bit) Utilities (updated) [30279] Reply with quote

Windows 7 (32-bit / 64-bit) Utilities

Here is a list of my favorite FREE software! 7-Zip - Open
source Windows utility for manipulating archives. Formats 7z,
ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR are supported fully, other formats can be
unpacked. Adobe Flash plugin - Flash
Player 10 ActiveX (Internet Ex

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
psolord
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd add cpuz, gpuz, msi afterburner, occt and infranview to this list. As for AVG wtf? Razz Avast FTW! Never crossed me. AVG has done so twice!

In my commercial favorites, I'd add Internet Download Manager and CFosspeed.
nb411
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use AVG internet security and it has worked very well for me (past 2 years or so).

Also I don't like irfanview, and find xnview to be much nicer. It's also free. Anyway, that's just my taste.
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-XnView -its irfanview just better.
-CDBurnerXP -yeah I stopped bothering with Nero years ago.
-Winrar(commercial) - 7zip has its uses in opening packaged setup and .exe files though.
-Alcohol120% - yeah I used to use this aswel, but I just use DaemonTools lite nowadays.
-NetLimiter v3 (commercial) -Works as a brilliant firewall /detection blocker with the right setup, individual app bandwidth stats etc.
-KMPlayer/Zoomplayer(commercial) -either one leaves VLC in the dirt I'm afraid.
-VirtualDub- Quick video editing.
-PSPad or Notepad++
-Winamp+cPro addonskin or Aimp2 if you want the better tabbed playlists.
-Foxit Reader -pdf file reader
-AMP WinOFF - One of the best little PC shutdown utilities I've ever found.
-Everything - File Search http://forum.voidtools.com/ grab beta.. beats using Win7 Fail desktop search crap.

Shell extensions
-True LaunchBar & Taskix - These are the taskbar improvement Win7 could have built in, if shell team weren't noobtards.
-Qttabbar - Win7 file explorer shell is too screwed up for this awesome extension.
-StrokeIT - It would be like going back to the stoneage of computing workflow without this.
-SuperCopier2 - if you use Win7 you'd be a fool not to replace its copy/move functionality along with its bloated over-sized copy/replace dialog with this.

DonationCoder.com - always good to check for the small app junkie...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avast is THE worst AV ever regarding resources it consumes. It slows down the system to a point where you wish to shoot the authors Very Happy Avira free is way way better and you don't even feel her in the system.

VLC media player, sorry but that's one of the worst codec free players out there. KMPlayer or PotPlayer are the way to go, especially the latter one. I wouldn't even know where to begin with where and how much VLC sucks compared to those two...

as for foxit reader, it is faster than adobe reader but try opening any e-magazine with it and adobe reader and you will see why foxit sucks big time. It just reads everything half way trough and compresses the hell out of images.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
avast is THE worst AV ever regarding resources it consumes. It slows down the system to a point where you wish to shoot the authors Very Happy Avira free is way way better and you don't even feel her in the system.

VLC media player, sorry but that's one of the worst codec free players out there. KMPlayer or PotPlayer are the way to go, especially the latter one. I wouldn't even know where to begin with where and how much VLC sucks compared to those two...

as for foxit reader, it is faster than adobe reader but try opening any e-magazine with it and adobe reader and you will see why foxit sucks big time. It just reads everything half way trough and compresses the hell out of images.

Why exactly is VLC worse than the km/potplayer that doesn't even have a native english client? I can't find anything that states or shows anything that makes this player better than VLC in any way.

Only info I've seen is the kmplayer died since the author gave up on it and the comunity obviously didn't feel it was special enough to carry the torch.

http://garbledzombie.wordpress.com/2010/09/11/the-kmplayer-is-dead-long-live-the-potplayer/

Did I run into a case of someone trying to be different just because?

We happen to agree on avast and adobe reader. FoxIt is a nice alternative but does have some issues here and there.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
gx-x wrote:

Why exactly is VLC worse than the km/potplayer that doesn't even have a native english client? I can't find anything that states or shows anything that makes this player better than VLC in any way.

Only info I've seen is the kmplayer died since the author gave up on it and the comunity obviously didn't feel it was special enough to carry the torch.

http://garbledzombie.wordpress.com/2010/09/11/the-kmplayer-is-dead-long-live-the-potplayer/

Did I run into a case of someone trying to be different just because?

We happen to agree on avast and adobe reader. FoxIt is a nice alternative but does have some issues here and there.

first of all, it has english versions, second, it's 64bit if you need it, third, it can be looked at (ie not bleeding eye ugly like VLC), it supports more formats, it has better internal decoders and encoders and tons of stuff. It reads all subtitle formats, all audio formats etc etc.
it's more intuitive, supports DXVA on all graphic cards, has many options, better reproduction, faster rewinding, supports multiple displays, audio cards, passthroughs for audio, even has internal DD/DTS decoders. (with options of down-mixing the way you see it fit if you want to, gain for every channel separately)

edit: just try it. It's simply put - better in everything. VLC doesn't always want to read subtitles, not to mention loading multiple ones together with loading mkv/avi (which also sometimes can bug in VLC depending on the "package" )

like I said, just try it:
http://www.dvbsupport.net/download/index.php?act=category&id=16
on that link you have english versions both x86 and x64.

/edit

as for KMPlayer author, he left and he now makes PotPlayer (Daum PotPlayer) which is similar to KMP but is rewritten in C++ and is much lighter and a bit faster (also has x64 version)

regards,
Gx-x
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most everything is said for what I used. I agree VLC is kinda crappy. I think it has a memory leak. I use WMedia Player and Winamp to play everything. Few mentions I didn't see

PS3Media Server. Best thing on planet to stream video and audio to Xbox and PS3
RocketDock, best shortcut/dock around. True Launchbar is just bloatware.
DriverSweeper for removing all the crap left over for various things like nvidia drivers, creative driver
CCleaner. Best registry cleaner around for free
Ozieo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Proxomitron
- Faststone Image Viewer
- MPC-HC
- HandyCache
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. My new SSD arrived.
What do I use to clone the old SSD (EFI BIOS, Win7x64SP1) to the new (blank) one?
I really don't feel like reinstalling everything today.
The older Acronis I have does not support the EFI partitions it seems. Anyone used Clonezilla?
Thanks!
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
So. My new SSD arrived.
What do I use to clone the old SSD (EFI BIOS, Win7x64SP1) to the new (blank) one?
I really don't feel like reinstalling everything today.
The older Acronis I have does not support the EFI partitions it seems. Anyone used Clonezilla?
Thanks!

Acronis 2013 is probably the best solution now
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guessed as much but I would not want to invest for the sake of mirroring one single disk... I guess it won't let you do it while it's trial, will it?
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
I guessed as much but I would not want to invest for the sake of mirroring one single disk... I guess it won't let you do it while it's trial, will it?

[xxxxxxxx link- removed xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: