Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Activision Blizzard Cuts 600 Jobs [32514]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Activision Blizzard Cuts 600 Jobs [32514] Reply with quote

Activision Blizzard has cut 600 jobs due to World of Warcraft\'s continuing loss of subscribers.

Traditional video game companies like Activision and Electronic Arts have been trimming costs and releasing fewer games as the growth in the industry shifts toward free games on the Internet made by younger companies suc

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder when Blizzard will realize that the only way to keep a game active in the long run is to allow modding...

BTW, developers always lose their jobs when there's nothing to develop.
Kompressor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game looks like crap. They never upgrade the graphics. They'll also never get new players when the game looks like such crap. I'm surprised it lasted this long (seven years).

BTW, Blizzard is in the ER. They used to make the highest quality games, but now they are all turning to crap, like WoW and D3. The only good game they have left right now is SC2. At the same time, Valve games are getting to be really high quality, like DOTA 2.

If Blizzard doesn't do something soon, they are going to be left in the dust.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAME is going tits up also!
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/34773ba4-62fc-11e1-b837-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1nsWFR7OF

They have cancelled ALL pre-orders of Mass Effect 3 and cancelled my N7 edition on the 17th of feb, without even so much as an email! I only found out due to finding headings like the above.
They are not stocking ANY EA title past SSX in the whole of march.

Bye,bye Game, you used to be good but turned mega greedy -looks like it's came back and bit your arse!

http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/29/troubled-u-k-retailer-game-will-not-be-stocking-mass-effect-3/
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article:
Stumpus wrote:
http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/29/troubled-u-k-retailer-game-will-not-be-stocking-mass-effect-3/

Says:
Quote:

“The high street is having a tough time at the moment because people have less money to spend. We’re doing as much as we can to give our customers the widest possible range during this time, but as flagged before, we need our partners’ help in order to do this. We want to be in a position where we’re selling as much of their products as we possibly can. We need their help to do this and that’s what we’re working on at the moment.”

Apparently, they believe that the problem is that "people have less money to spend". WTF? You sell crap, that's the problem!
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell crap ? Seriously ?
Pretty stupid point of view! In reality they had like 10 years on a row, selling the best selling game of all times...
10mil. active players to date and counting....
They have bunch of money to spend and they obviously are letting go WOW, because you know - they made it free to play ?! Why ? Because it is history!
They have other games coming up so...dont worry! They will hire more people when the time is right PLUS they will make a LOT MORE MONEY OUT OF DUMB ASS SUCKERS!
RayzorBlue
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not Game's fault they are not selling EA games, EA have refused to supply them because they refused them credit. The likes of EA would love to see High street stores close it would mean less second hand games. Game have been trying to sell there European stores for a while but nobody will buy them. Its a shame to see Game in such dire straits I have been shopping there for years and still go in to my local store now as well as using there online services, I think it's time to spend my Game card points before they go under. As for Blizzard I couldn't give a shit I hope the developers go to decent company's and make games worth playing.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i first bought a PS3, directly across from the Game store was HMV. They -HMV- were doing GTV+GT5 prologue + Beowulf Blu-Ray in their bundle. Game were doing some crap Lego-something + some poor film bundle for the SAME price!. So i asked the guy would he match HMV, some 30ft across from them, with the same bundle, since we have a Game points card. He instantly said no. No consultation with manager or store staff. So i walked straight over got my bundle from HMV and he looked at me clearly walking out and past his store with with NO sale of back then of nearly £300.

So same story repeats itself just recently. Buy a new slim PS3 and Game can't match bundle (Uncharted 3 + BF3 and Faster blu-ray) nor price -£25 more expensive. Again no haggling -same store, same HMV across from them.
As i said, they didn't have the decency to EVEN email us that THEY had cancelled my ME3 N7 order, that they had had for nearly 2-3weeks. Log in to my account and it's sitting cancelled nearly 2 WEEKS AGO!!
That's low and despicable. When you treat customers that are buying an £70 -nearly twice the price of a standard game- collectors edition. With disregard, they deserve to go down.
They are not competitive and by getting for eg; exclusive Skyrim,ME3 N7 bundles, they stiffled the market and charged stupid prices for those that wanted a collectible edition.
Amazon were selling the N7 edition £10 CHEAPER. Game were charging £130 for the EXCLUSIVE Skyrim CE with dragon statue. They never sold out and were sitting there at Xmas down to £49.99
So all the marking up and not selling has smashed them down big time!
Treat customers like shit and you'll get burned.... pretty simple really.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need businesses like "Game" so you could have HMV. You should thank them (Game) and buy something from them just to keep them around. If it closes, you won't like that HMV that much anymore, trust me. Wink
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
You need businesses like "Game" so you could have HMV. You should thank them (Game) and buy something from them just to keep them around. If it closes, you won't like that HMV that much anymore, trust me. Wink

Game are not competitive anymore, that is plain and simply the truth. (i take it you are UK?)
For eg, Morrisons regularly undercut Game by between £5-8.
Sure HMV are hardly competitve either when it comes to singular games, my example was a direct competitive sale between two shops 30ft across from each other and Game didn't give a toss whether it was a £300 sale or a £40 sale.
Now in a market when common sense prevails, a sale is a sale against a rival.
As it is, i regularly buy from Amazon anyway -case in question ME3 N7 is about £5 cheaper, that's £5 in MY pocket.
HMV, like Gamestation are toiling out there. They STUPIDLY sell second-hand games for literaly, £5-10 less than full price, with NO working network pass. That is bloody criminal!
A generation of piracy and wanting something for nothing is killing off shops and mismanagement.
DLC, M$ and the likes of STEAM are controlling what games are sold and controlled AND on what format.
I'm glad i have lived through days when EVERYTHING was physical.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:
Indeed.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:
gx-x wrote:

Game are not competitive anymore, that is plain and simply the truth. (i take it you are UK?)
For eg, Morrisons regularly undercut Game by between £5-8.
Sure HMV are hardly competitve either when it comes to singular games, my example was a direct competitive sale between two shops 30ft across from each other and Game didn't give a toss whether it was a £300 sale or a £40 sale.
Now in a market when common sense prevails, a sale is a sale against a rival.
As it is, i regularly buy from Amazon anyway -case in question ME3 N7 is about £5 cheaper, that's £5 in MY pocket.
HMV, like Gamestation are toiling out there. They STUPIDLY sell second-hand games for literaly, £5-10 less than full price, with NO working network pass. That is bloody criminal!
A generation of piracy and wanting something for nothing is killing off shops and mismanagement.
DLC, M$ and the likes of STEAM are controlling what games are sold and controlled AND on what format.

I am not from UK, I was just saying, you need more than one business open to have competitive market. Look at intel vs AMD atm. AMD released buldozer, intel postponed Ivy bridge and price cuts on Sandy bridge. You need Games open if you want other to be cheaper. Simple as that. Smile
RayzorBlue
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:
Beowulf Blu-Ray in their bundle. Game were doing some poor film bundle for the SAME price!.

Since when did Beowulf become part of a high quality film bundle?
I know what your saying and coming from a business that regularly has to compete with rivals, I would have kicked the arse of a member of staff that turned down a customer without checking with me first. That said it could simply be that stores manager is shit or the order could come from above (I hate dealing with my head office it is 300 miles away and knows nothing about our customers) that there is no dealing on certain items. As for shopping on the internet, it's great until something goes wrong. I recently bought Kinect from Game, it was defective so I took it back two hours after buying it got a new one and all was good. Had I bought it on the internet it would probably have been up to ten days or more perhaps from the time of ordering to getting a working Kinect. I don't need to go into why tax dodging internet stores are cheaper but if you don't buy local then your local and National economy suffers, and at the moment I am trying to spend as much of my money as possible in local or at least British tax paying stores to help our economy.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since when did blue ray became high quality film medium anyway? Since sony sold you guys milions of PS3s for games and beaten HDDVD? What did that lead to? mkv BR rips packed in ~10GB loose ~2% of quality and that is only seen on professional grade gear, not on PS3...
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
since when did blue ray became high quality film medium anyway?
It never was and never will be. It's just bigger than a DVD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: