Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Mark Rein: Epic's Still A PC Developer [29296]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Mark Rein: Epic's Still A PC Developer [29296] Reply with quote

Speaking with Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Rein clarified his company\'s
current focus:

You were talking this morning about how frustratingly long it takes to push a patch out on 360 or PS3, yet you guys have been a little bit more resitant to PC of late – a platform where your hands are totally untied in that regard.

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
sikapossu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulletstorm is coming from outside firm not epic right ? so there is still not games coming from epic to pc

really like to know did microsoft pay so those games not coming to pc too because before exclusive was only for console and pc version could made if they want
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game engine doesn't equal PC titles. I don't understand why the need to lie or deceive here. Your primary focus is and has been console titles exclusively for years now. The engine and it's updates were an attempt to make money off of games without creating them. The other purpose was to to get it to go cross platform. PC devs have used the engine quite a bit. The problem here is that in your attempt to diversify you now make console games and a popular game engine seen more on the PC.

I might be missing some facts I don't know. Why would it be bad to say we are in business because of consoles now and our game engines? Staying in business and making money no one can fault that imo.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I see what they are doing, I might be able to judge. Epic has always had good engines and games people expected and continue to play to this day. Their engine is also host to many other good games out there.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing to slam them on really. My problem is with the context of his response. Why act offended?
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find he was acting offended in his responses because the article starts off as "he clarified".
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
RPS: Is it more, though, that it’s the engine and the UDK that you’re pushing to PC, but your own games will remain much more console focused?

[Forcefully] Don’t confuse Gears of War with everything we do. There’s a tendency to think that because we wanna do one thing really, really well and not a hundred things really poorly or just okay that we’re less committed. Bulletstorm is PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 and you’ll see when it comes out, it will be a full-blown, oh-my-god amazing PC game. I wouldn’t draw the comparisons there.

Honest and pretty solid question. He is acting defensive possibly offended by this question. His response of quality over quantity is a nice deflection.

Quote:
RPS: Do you feel that, despite the fact most of your business comes from engine licensing, you’re up against a widespread conception or presumption that you are the Gears Of War guys, like Bungie are the Halo guys and Infinity Ward are – er, were – the Call of Duty guys? Does it get on your nerves?

[Sighs]. It doesn’t bother me. Because… we sell technology for which the primary money-maker is console games, so if you were to ask me, years ago when we were entering the console space, if people thought of us as the PC company, and we had to overcome that… So I’m okay with that. That’s an opportunity.

So now the opportunity is swinging back the other way, the opportunity to show that we’re still the PC company. And honestly I think Bulletstorm and UDK are firmly establishing us in the PC realm as still the big player there. So that’s okay. That’s a great challenge to have, and we’re constantly working at it.

Here we are again. These same exact questions were what myself and many others thought about them on the PC. There's nothing wrong with being a console company. The engine is popular on the PC but a spade is a spade. They stopped being a PC company ages ago. Bulletstorm is vaporware until it's released and doesn't mean squat.

I don't understand why these questions triggered such an emotional response from him. It's not like I'm upset about it. Who cares? Make some money and if you ever release a decent game cool I'll buy it.

You can tell by sigh and forcefully remarks btw Tom.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry don't agree, I think you are reading more out of it than what's written.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:

We agree to disagree then. The author chose to insert the body language and tone prior to the response. Why bother noting that if the persons demeanor didn't change in any way.
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to slam them on? heh UT3,GOW on the PC ..yeh plenty to slam them on really.

Still they carry on development on their engine and that clearly keeps them in the PC market though I don't really care much about their engine anymore, but their actual PC /ported games that they produce themselves haven't exactly been anything good for a number of years now.

Quote:

Its plain as day obvious the answers they came back with were defensive of the fact they've built up a reputation of putting out Shit on the PC in favor of mass noob market sales on shallow console games.

Not that I care, but their actions speak louder than words. I agree with what Baconnaise has to say about it. And make no doubt about Bulletstorm, its designed for the console gamer! Epic are just getting some marketing done to assure what is left of their PC fanbase doesn't just ignore them and Bulletstorms multi-platform release!
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find it that big of an issue with GOW and UT3 although UT3 was an emotional letdown if any. Cross platform games always have me at a low expectation that it's hard for them to surprise me. Pretty much the reason why I've been more of an rts or mmo on the pc for a awhile.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Mark Rein personally. He's a very smart guy, takes no shit. If he had an edge it's based on the shit being said on the net, most of which is total bs. Mostly bs rumors spread by people who know jack shit. He is a very helpful guy and he's done a lot for the PC community including the Make Something Unreal competition that drew a lot of PC developers. Unreal 3, cross console or whatever still has a following that puts other games to shame. Support and map packs continually come out. GOW was a good game, I played it to the end I enjoyed it. 99.9% certainty I will buy their new game and I don't care what any jerk off has to say about Epic. I have a lot of respect for Mark Rein and I don't give a shit about his 'perceived' edge in the interview. I'd probably say the interviewer was probably a jerk off anyhow.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would make more sense if you just said he might have an edge but then again perhaps the interviewer was being a douche Smile.
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He's a very smart guy, takes no shit. If he had an edge it's based on the shit being said on the net, most of which is total bs. Mostly bs rumors spread by people who know jack shit.

Mostly bs rumours? stuff said on the net is bs? lolwut? are you a moron with your head up your ass, or is it Mark Reins? Trying to defend someone who is full of shit? I can tell you where most the bs comes from on the net Wink scumbags who like to lie and twist things disinfo bullshitters.

Quote:
He is a very helpful guy and he's done a lot for the PC community including the Make Something Unreal competition that drew a lot of PC developers.

haha he's done a lot for Epic and his salary bonuses. And suckering in people to work on UED crap for the benefit and marketing of their engine.

The Make Something Unreal competition fucking ruined the mod community more than it actually benefited it! Infact 'MSUC'!! didn't actually benefit the mod community in the slightest!!! If you want to know why just look into more. Their is a funny thing about money and prizes and deadlines.. it ruins things badly, those who go after it, often don't realize how they are being played and worked like fools.

Quote:
It would make more sense if you just said he might have an edge but then again perhaps the interviewer was being a douche

How was the interviewer being a douche lol?

Try not to take the bullshit Tom spews out for real.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: