Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Age of Conan Is 'Biggest MMO Launch Since WoW' [25435]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Age of Conan Is 'Biggest MMO Launch Since WoW' [25435] Reply with quote

Not since World of Warcraft has an MMO game sold this fast. To everyone\'s surprise, the Age of Conan MMO has already

reached the 1 million sold mark. Due to overwhelming demand for the game, the title has occupied the number one spot on the charts for weeks.

In the US, Age of Conan has a strong #1 chart po

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Venom1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 8 days playing this game i've quitted Wow.
Great great game =)
Majnun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 2 days of playing this game, I quit playing Age of Conan. I doubt I'll even bring myself to bother playing the free 30 days worth. Waste of $50. Sad, too because I really wanted it to be good (hell, I spent over a week patching it...and knew I would have to before buying it).

Now, IF you have a bleeding edge PC it might be a little better. But I doubt it.

Oh, and don't bother trying it on dial-up. I know, I know, but I play LotRO & WoW on dial-up with zero problems (can't even get wireless or satellite where I live)...the only problem is patching of course. Did I mention it took over a week to patch AoC Smile

I know most people have broadband now (at least most online gamers), but I seriously doubt even 1/4 of that million people who bought AoC have the bleeding edge PC needed to make this game not run like ass. There's gonna be a lot of frustrated walmart/dell/best buy shoppers in the coming weeks.

I predict that maybe, at best, 25% of this first million people buying this game will continue to pay for it after the first free month. Probably not even that many. Of course new people will see those massive numbers and keep buying it...and all they really need to be profitable is 100-200k or so.

So, hey, lucky you, you'll have another Anarchy Online situation where the game sucks balls at first, but enough suckers keep paying for it for them to keep it alive and make it into a decent game in a year or so.
darknothing
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feal bad for you, game runs good on my midcore pc. amd 5400x2am2, 4 gigs pc 6400, 1 8800gts 320..
have everything maxed, and yes my pc is midcore at best.

game is grate, this is what we wanted, a mmo for adults only, enough kid mmo's
btw there always updating the game, so far i have had a 20+fps increase since the last 4 updates..
let us not forget all the downtime WOW has had... days after days... so far AOC has had none. and has run great so far for me and my guild..
you just need to come back when all the major patches are in place.

and yes, dial up is now a thing of the past, you shouldn't be able to play ANY mmo or online pc game at all... i had some pritty big updates with wow and Lotr so you must be a big fat lier..
Majnun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ you calling me a big fat lier (it's liar btw but nevermind that).

All MMO's update in small file chunks so if you get cut off mid-patch you only have to download from the last file you were at...not start the whole thing over. I was in the SWG beta (on dial-up) and it took around 40 hours to bring the discs they sent me up to the beta 3 version. Conan took about 65 hours total time to patch up.

When the only option you have is dial-up you deal with it. I have downloaded several 1gig to 2 gig DEMOs of games (using a download manager of course). I'm a very stubborn person and refuse to just not get to play things because I am limited to dial-up. Smile

But you calling me a liar? Why in the holy hell would someone LIE about having dial-up? Are you an idiot? (that was a rhetorical question, you already answered it)

But, yes, I guess my PC is kinda in dire need of a replacement. Single core, only 2gig of ram, and a puny 256mb video card. So yeah, I need to suck it up and build a new system already.

And I agree, AoC will be much better in a couple months than it is now...I'm just pissed I've wasted my 30 days free trial on the state that it (and my pc) are in right now.
Venom1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majnun wrote:
After 2 days of playing this game, I quit playing Age of Conan. I doubt I'll even bring myself to bother playing the free 30 days worth. Waste of $50. Sad, too because I really wanted it to be good (hell, I spent over a week patching it...and knew I would have to before buying it).

Now, IF you have a bleeding edge PC it might be a little better. But I doubt it.

Oh, and don't bother trying it on dial-up. I know, I know, but I play LotRO & WoW on dial-up with zero problems (can't even get wireless or satellite where I live)...the only problem is patching of course. Did I mention it took over a week to patch AoC Smile

I know most people have broadband now (at least most online gamers), but I seriously doubt even 1/4 of that million people who bought AoC have the bleeding edge PC needed to make this game not run like ass. There's gonna be a lot of frustrated walmart/dell/best buy shoppers in the coming weeks.

I predict that maybe, at best, 25% of this first million people buying this game will continue to pay for it after the first free month. Probably not even that many. Of course new people will see those massive numbers and keep buying it...and all they really need to be profitable is 100-200k or so.

So, hey, lucky you, you'll have another Anarchy Online situation where the game sucks balls at first, but enough suckers keep paying for it for them to keep it alive and make it into a decent game in a year or so.

The most stupid comment ever read here.
poster55
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest when I played the PVP beta I wasn't very impressed with the game. I don't think many people were. However when Early Access started I was totally blown away... I mean completely floored by how far the game has come.

Each patch they have released, especially the most recent two, have been incredibly impressive with the amount of content it has fixed. I have no more doubts about the future of this game, especially after reading some of the dev diary and the ideas they are working on pushing out -this summer-...

This game is by far one of the best games I have ever played. I am extremely glad I got it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: