Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Crysis Post-Mortem with Crytek [25249]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Crysis Post-Mortem with Crytek [25249] Reply with quote

PC Play just informed me that have published
an English version of interview with Crytek\'s Cevat Yerli. He confirmed that they won\'t have PC exclusives as they did with Crysis in future because similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more. PC Play: How do you estimate the current state of the PC

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
psolord
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Cevat expected? Had he released a better game, many more people would have bought it, instead of JUST pirating it.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's the age old excuse 'blame piracy' Rolling Eyes
More the fact that it was easier, for some folks, to pirate it and try it out before wasting money on it due to it's high specs.
If it didn't need a complete PC rebuild, then no doubt it would have done well. Also the fact it was a simple shoot 'em up, didn't, in my view warrant that sort of expense.
Folks got wind of the fact it was a trilogy and,well....that threw the spanner in it's mega bucks future -so to speak.
There's a lot of hints that Crysis is indeed IN crysis re the PC and the point they make of going console as well.

It's all about $$££ Cool
spidey
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pc gaming platform has always been a moving target so if your selling feature is pretty visual effects then you will always be selling to the few that keeps their rigs current. The only people I know that are that obsessed about keeping everything on the cutting edge exclusively use their computers for work and couldn't care less about gaming.

Sales is a somewhat sad measure of a games popularity, especially when it's been shown that trailers sells more games than demos (because then we actually get to see how boring the game really is). I wonder if all those people who pirate Crysis on the pc actually play it more than an hour or two and further it'd be interesting to know if the console gamers really bother with playing the weak titles all that much, no matter the fancy graphics, because hold no doubts about it Crysis is a weak title.
Genoism
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:
Well it's the age old excuse 'blame piracy' Rolling Eyes
More the fact that it was easier, for some folks, to pirate it and try it out before wasting money on it due to it's high specs.
If it didn't need a complete PC rebuild, then no doubt it would have done well. Also the fact it was a simple shoot 'em up, didn't, in my view warrant that sort of expense.
Folks got wind of the fact it was a trilogy and,well....that threw the spanner in it's mega bucks future -so to speak.
There's a lot of hints that Crysis is indeed IN crysis re the PC and the point they make of going console as well.

It's all about $$££ Cool

fact is that you have no idea how many people pirate to try it. I'd be willing to bet that most people pirate it and never buy it. You should also learn that at this point and age of video games every single one of them allow you to lower down visual settings so that you don't need to have a top end machine to play a game. Suprising, I know.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genoism wrote:
fact is that you have no idea how many people pirate to try it. I'd be willing to bet that most people pirate it and never buy it. You should also learn that at this point and age of video games every single one of them allow you to lower down visual settings so that you don't need to have a top end machine to play a game. Suprising, I know.

Of course i don't and neither do you, it's a bleating match by Crytek to justify two things; poorer sales than expected (due to the stupid high specs) and to make sure they have an escape plan to bin the PC and go console, where the TRUE money is made -which, after all, is what this is really about Wink
Having been gaming since DOS, gameplay is what i consider more important -graphics are a bonus.
Because Crysis was built *around* visuals, rather than grey matter. It therefore falls flat on its face when played at reduced visuals. Soooo, when (some) people don't fall for the 'DX10 upgrade hype' they then pirate to see if there is anything else worthy of the spiel. The result? Obvious.
Sell a game properly, with features that were said to be in the full game AND specs that are realistic, and you gain trust and therefore help reduce piracy of your own games.
It's not rocket science.
Pi$$ off the gameplayer and they will pi$$ you off!
Amazing when DOS was around you could install as many times on the same machine (loads of the same game in different DIRs) and you could also PKZIP it onto floppies. But if the game was good -which most were- you inevitably bought it.
Shareware was the way, give you 1/3rd of the game and then you bought the rest!
Instead today we download a demo, several GIGS in size, for a mere 15min play Rolling Eyes Totaly filled with BLOAT and ZERO gameplay!!
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a clever and shrewd person Hx, you understand my meaning -without having a pissing match.
You have already gone down the upgrade route, for the amount of games you buy -to make the full use of that hardware before it's 'old'- is probably very small indeed i bet?
In a year i would be lucky to buy, at most, around 6 GOOD titles that would use my hardware to it's extreme. That isn't a lot of software for $$££+ of bucks of hardware that is most def classed as old after a year.

Consoles (the PS3 in particular) is a standalone blu-ray player of very,very high quality! The latest firmware supports DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audi output.
Regardless of the fact you NEVER have to upgrade to play a game, you get your money's worth all over, you can't loose.
plug into ANY modern home cinema system by way of HDMI and your in audible HEAVEN!!
I've know hx for a long time here and he has -like myself- put off upgrading always to the bitter end because it's always because you feel 'forced'.
When you've been in this game a long time, times have changed for the PC -and not for the better- it's a pure commercial cash cow and no longer gives the same pleasure when building your rig (for me anyway) Crying or Very sad
It feels like MS has no empathy with the gamer, it was slightly better 10 years or so back, today it's just about new OS,new Hardware and sell it!
'Keep up or get out', seems to be their ignorant moto...

Anyway, i enjoy gaming still -at my pace- but i have more time for consoles of all kinds since you buy and no longer feel depressed that the next game you get for it wont play!
An 'age thing' Laughing Cool

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: