Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

The End Of PC Gaming? [24106]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: The End Of PC Gaming? [24106] Reply with quote

PC Perspective published an article on PC Gaming called "PC Gaming: Why I'll Never Console Myself with Second Best".  While things may not be looking too good for PC gamers, PC Perspective says PC gaming is far from dead and that gaming on your computer…not your console…is the way to

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
WillieT
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Pc gaming is dead.. i don't want to spend 2000$ every year and a half just to be able to play a game half dcently. With console, you don't have to worry about a game working or not. even in 3 years time, just pop the disc in, fire up the console and you are in the game.
Renton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Consoles limitations Reply with quote

WillieT wrote:
For me, Pc gaming is dead.. i don't want to spend 2000$ every year and a half just to be able to play a game half dcently. With console, you don't have to worry about a game working or not. even in 3 years time, just pop the disc in, fire up the console and you are in the game.

Obviously this guy is a console-fan. I play console too but i don't have anyone. A couple of friends have they, also harcore pcgamers, and own the 360, ps2, wii...

I'm not going to talk about game mods flexibility, 'cause i never do that, i just a player. I played Oblivion with my old machine (i still got it with updates since 2002) an old 3200+Barton, Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with 2GB DDR and a 7800GS (the agp version), Audigy SE and 2x80 SATAI in Raid 0. The game even in that old machine crushed the 360 version not even in quality, but also in performance. (i didnt even see the clock charger when a new area is loading or have stops). I have not only the AI benefits... but the shadows quality and grass density just for says a couple more details (like resolution or better aa). I see the same things in Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Just Cause and other titles.

For the part of the cost, the guy talks crazy. I from Argentina and here the costs of Hardware are about to 30/50% more expensive than the U.S. prices and in my recent machine i spent only u$s1850* (and i talking about a high-end PC**) This baby allows me to play in resolutions way over the 1080p@60fps Full HD Standard*** (seriously, how many console gamers could discuss this?) With great framerates and exceptional quality with a bit of control-panel options.

*[here the X-BOX 360 Elite is about u$s1100, far too expensive for an stuck-on harware, plus a full experience requires HDMI 1080p Visual Interface and a digital amplifier to equal PC's sounds system]

**Core 2 Duo E6750@3,20
EVGA 8800GTX@600/1000
X-FI Fatal1ty
ASUS P5KC
Corsair 8500C5@1066 2x1GB
West.Dig.2x250GBSATA2
Chassis Thermaltake Soprano

***A bunch of games in next-gen consoles doesn't reach the 60fps standard

Maybe the console is more easy-to-use (plug&play baby-can-do), maybe console gamers loves his interface... that's OK, everyone of us has its tastes. But in quality, flexibility and interface, only talking in the gaming side, the PC has no competitor.

Last edited by Renton on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:47 am; edited 4 times in total
Shaligar
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, yeah, WillieT, spend 600€ on a PS3 and then 3k€ on a hdtv, then say pc is more expensive!
darknothing
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just think pc gaming is just for people with some money,.
think about it games that are just made for pc and arnt ports seam to look better, do to the new tech thats out all the time for it.
i have a great pc midcore in some eyes, but i play all the new games great, bioshock full on widescreen rez looks great, only paid 900$ for the upgrades,
pc games are cheaper so i save money there. where u pay for a ps3 that cost 5-600 for some and your paying 50-70$ for games.
so i think it equals out. somehow.

but if your a fanboy of a system you should write something like this. its obvious they didnt give more pros to pc's. freegames come faster Twisted Evil
WillieT
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... a few things..

Renton

I'm not a console fan. i don't own a console. i'm just tired of constatnly upgrading my pc every 2 years. it's a lot of money i could really use.
As for games. Most recent games are out on Consoles, and by the rime the hit the pc (if they ever) it's 6-12 months. Your 1850$ pc is already outdated and the 8800GTX shows poor results on real DX10 games, and you will probabley have to upgrade GFX card in a year and a half to play at decent settings. it's a race that never ends. but hey, that's just my opinion, if u want to keep racing after intel/amd and Ati/Nvidia, be my guest.

Shaligar

Who said anything about the PS3? Xbox 360 costs half and plays just as well. as for hdtv... sure i can buy an HDTV @ 3K, but you can also buy them in 1.5K and 2K and 10K even... the tv doesn't matter, the game will always run! :p and after a one time purchase, that's it. no upgrading for 4-5 year! not 2 years. An outdated (come november the 9800GTX or whatever name they will give it- will be out and it's 3 times stronger) 8800GTX costs $534.99 on newegg.com that's more than the elite 360 alone, and that's just a GFX card that will (!) be obselte in 2 years time.
darknothing
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow dude your way off on that.
got a asus croshair mobo, 5600x2 and 8800gts 320m and 2gigs pc 6400
for under 900$ my mouse keybored and monitor are all good very good.

so i kinda think were almost on the same page for upgrading, considering you need a hi-def tv and a new console every 2-3 years?

remeber pcs are always coming out with new tec because so manny other fronts need new tec.. consoles... vibrators... tv's .. im not sure if im saying what i mean but im sure you can connect the dots...

btw i cant stand console FPS.... the hotboxes are so far from the body's its unbelievable anyone thinks they have skill hah.
Renton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieT wrote:
Ok... a few things..
i'm just tired of constatnly upgrading my pc every 2 years. it's a lot of money i could really use.
As for games. Most recent games are out on Consoles, and by the rime the hit the pc (if they ever) it's 6-12 months. Your 1850$ pc is already outdated and the 8800GTX shows poor results on real DX10 games, and you will probabley have to upgrade GFX card in a year and a half to play at decent settings.

First remember that i'm not in the U.S. so you are talking about my u$s1850 when there my machine costs arround u$s1000, something that i think i had clear on my first post.
Wich game was 12 months in the line?
Oblivion, Just Cause, Lost Planet, Double Agent, GRAW1&2, Rainbow Six Vegas, Bioshock... What are you talking about?!
The only one that have a delay is Gears of War 'cuase it was not originally planed for the PC.
The performance in DX10 is great on a 8800GTX so i don't know what benchs you are taking as a reference. Also, there's only 3 real DX10 games and may i remind you that de 360 doesn't have SM4.0 nor DX10. So We are talking about comparing it with an GF7950x2 at less, nor an 8800GTX.

Maybe there is a running course trought AMD and Intel... but with NVidia and ATI... no discussion. I'm not a fan of NVidia, I'm a fan of the greatest performance and only if somehow AMD/ATI finds the holy grial of 3D rendering or they have a "Video rendering epifany", could get on this race, the one they are lossing for years now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: