Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Wednesday reading - WinXP critical patches [19932]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Wednesday reading - WiXP critical patches [19932] Reply with quote

My spare PC's HDD (old slow 80GB WD) died today, along with all my backups and games. It looks like I'll have to buy a new one...What would you lose if your hard drive died today?

Here's some stuff: MS Critical Patches for WinXP - MS05-050: Critical: Vulnerability in DirectShow Could Allow Re

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an external 160Gig WD for backup, so i just make sure anything that's critical on the main PC is on it as well! That and a dual-layer DVD burner Wink
Nosferatu
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my old Fujitsu 40Gb died about half a year ago, I lost saves for at least 5 games, a 150Mb collection of screenshots (those exposed to the media when the game hadn't got to the shleves yet) and some photos.
At least I didn't loose something extremely important.
nb411
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my work as in paid work is on the one HDD, games on the other. Potential for disaster I know, that's why I want to get a 200giger soon.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Stumpus, I have a pair of dual layer Pioneer burners! muahahaha! Pwned! Also 2x 200 gig WD sata drives in Raid config. External drive? why? With the cost of DVD media being so cheap I can't see the logic of having or paying the cost of an external HD.

Anyone that uses a HD to save confidential or important things doesn't know a thing about backup imo. You ask for your own problems. You know how long it takes to burn a DVD full of data for me? 3mins at the most! I love people that let their data pile up on a HD and then come around and cry their HD broke and they lost their data. Sorry no sympathy here.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL xxxx, i've got HDDs that are 13years old (not one bad sector) *but* i already have 'rot' on my -now unuseable- Win95 original CD.

DVD/CD goes the same way after about 10years if your unlucky. There's no fullproof backup media other than tape and vinyl!
Besides i *only* mentioned that i use the external for INSTANT backup and it's only for game patches. Once there they just get burned and if it crashed tough! just download them again on my 4mb connection Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: