Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Steam Announces Family Sharing [35850]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Steam Announces Family Sharing [35850] Reply with quote

Valve just announced that Steam will soon have family sharing. s and family members to share their libraries of Steam games, is coming to Steam, a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC, Mac, and Linux games and software. The feature will become available next week, in limited beta on Steam.

s an

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this is very adequate solution for piracy.
I dont know how Steam will know that the people you say are "family" are not just friends that will play my games and so on.
It's nice, since they can't come up with something to let people sell their games....
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An allowed list is not hard to implement, tied to an email address.

Yes, it would be nice to sell games but who is going to want my old crap? Also Valve is not going to make money (unless they service charge you) with you selling your old games. It's a lot more complicated to offer a re-sell feature. There is a lot involved for no money gain to Valve. So I doubt you will see that.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the achievement system will work.
One would not want their little brother screw up their progress...

Checking for family members are easy.
- same router (same household).
- different router, but constant location (dorm, hospital, etc).
- amount of users.

This allows you to give it to a friend, but only to one or two friends before th size of your family gets suspicious (anything above 5-6 is likely to be looked at). You'll think twice to who you give it to as you might lose all your games and be dragged into court (they know who your are and they have hard facts to prove things). Your friends can't pass the games further, which already stops the spread right there. Far better for Steam than the wide spread caused by piracy without any revenue.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can a friend and I share a library and both play at the same time?
No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

useless. It's nothing like Sharing Games, books etc. within the family. I can give my wife a game on console that i own and she can play it. Likewise, we have two kindles and when one of us buys a book we *both* get it and can read it at the SAME time! It's still the same kindle account, read it on PC, tablet or phone.
If STEAM is under the same email and IP -which it is as my wife's PC is obviously in the same house, then we both should play at the same time as it is under the same roof.
We already DO this. She logs in to my account (she has steam on her PC), downloads the game she wants to play on my account, updates it then logs off. Then i log on to play while she plays offline the SAME game on her machine. Rolling Eyes
Game saves are just as easy, i take save one and the wife takes two or whatever the game allows.
If a user is registered on STEAM to play as family and friends, then that's how it should be. The machine, like Kindle,PS3,tablet or many other tied devices, is then tied to that account. Why should it be ONE machine as MASTER??
I spend hours playing on STEAM, i have 95 games on it, my wife would NEVER get a game in this current format. It is a complete useless idea.
The forums are choked with the same thinking....
Fuck me, this is totally backwards Evil or Very Mad
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it might just be an attempt to create yet another social networking system to map up family relationships to mine even more data from you.
doodah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tride wrote:
Actually this is very adequate solution for piracy.
I dont know how Steam will know that the people you say are "family" are not just friends that will play my games and so on.
It's nice, since they can't come up with something to let people sell their games....

Err, they don't need to?
Quote:
Steam Family Sharing is designed for close friends and family members to play one another's Steam games
Apathy Curve
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. I hadn't realized that the owner playing a game locked the entire library. That severely restricts the usefulness of this sharing system, doesn't it?

File this under ALMOST a Good Idea...
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apathy Curve wrote:
Hrm. I hadn't realized that the owner playing a game locked the entire library. That severely restricts the usefulness of this sharing system, doesn't it?

File this under ALMOST a Good Idea...

I missed that too.
And I agree with your sentiment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: