Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Is the Windows Era Really Over? [35572]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Is the Windows Era Really Over? [35572] Reply with quote

Windows era is over. Microsoft shares fell over
11% on Friday, the biggest decline since the financial crisis. The company whiffed on earnings, as consumers abandoned Microsoft's Windows operating system. Can Microsoft Corporation survive in a post-Windows era?

How Microsoft plans to save Windows -To rejuvenate Win

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 8 sucked, yes, but I don't think people are abandoning the OS as a whole just yet - more like skip it. Like a lot of people skipped Millenium a dozen or so years ago. There are losses, sure, but I think they'll all learn from this and check what Windows 7 got right and Windows 8 did not, and then move onto Windows 9.
Sure, there is a service pack for Windows 8, but who cares. It has to be right out of the box.
And, I still think that Steve Balmer needs to go. It's obvious he can't fill Bill Gates' shoes but he can cause damage - and that he did already too much of.
PCs don't sell? Look in the mirror, MS. Bite the bullet and move on.
Windows was popular when people were free to do anything with it. The UI is useless and prevents effective use, applications are getting bloated and slow, game support is lacking, office use does not need any of the new mumbo-jumbo, and they made switching between Linux and Windows nearly impossible. The moment someone want to limit me in any way or lock me out of my own PC, I show them the finger. They need to rethink what they do and what they don't. I find myself using Linux more and more, and nowadays the IT does not have a problem with people using Linux, neither. Gaming is vandalized, Linux is taking over the home and the office use (from the smallest HTPC media players to large server clusters) slowly, so, I have to ask: what is left there for Windows, really?
Hopefully they'll get it right next time. If they don't, that will truly be the end of the Windows era because Android, Linux and maybe even other are getting there.

The windows tablet was a disaster. What were they thinking entering an already saturated market?

IMHO, Nokia would do well restarting Linux-based OS development (MeeGo, was it?) because MS is deemed to fail. If they can't get the PC software right, they'll definitely screw up the mobile one.
NakedFaerie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Csambi that Windows 7 is where people go and stay. Windows 7 is the next Windows XP. a lot of people stayed with Windows XP as it worked like they wanted and needed. Windows 7 brings things together so those with Windows XP PCs can upgrade and still do everything they did without any or many problems.
Windows 8 on the other hand is all new. The Metro GUI sucks bigtime and always has. I first had a go back at Beta 1 and I told M$ on a forum that if they kept it like that it will fail from the start and I was right.
They need to completely drop Win8 and start from Windows 7 to make Windows 9. Thats the only way people will upgrade from Windows 7.
Drop metro as it sucks, bring back the traditional start menu, and where are the very useful desktop widgets? bring them back too. I need them so I cant upgrade to Windows 8.

I think Micro$oft looked at what Apple are doing and tried to copy them. Release a locked down OS and thats not the right way or smart thing to do. Locking down an OS is stupid. WHY limit your customers? They will just go somewhere else if you do that.

I've tried Windows 8 and hate it. Windows 8.1 is a tiny bit better but it still sucks and I still hate it. I wont ever like it and its still installed on my netbook only because I only use it about once a month and couldn't be bothered to install Windows 7 back onto it yet.

Now over to the hardware... Its got a slow processor, its expensive, its full of bloatware/spyware, its got Windows RT on it. Do you really want to sell it? How about price it at 1/4 it is currently and it will sell. Windows RT sucks bigtime so it wont sell good but it will sell at that price.
Now the full Windows 8 tablet is the same, its too slow, not enough memory, not enough HDD space, priced too high. again for what its got its worth 1.4 the price.
If you want people to use a tablet instead of a PC then at LEAST make it as good as a PC. How about an i7 with 8GB RAM and 256GB useable HDD (300GB at least) Then price that cheaper than an iPad and you will see a rise in sales. I was going to get one last week till I saw the specs of it. I got a netbook thats about the same specs for under 1/4 the price. Other manufacturers sell their tablets at half the price M$ do and they are better.
I suggest Micro$oft go to their local department store and look at what they sell. Look at the specs and the prices. Try to equal the specs but go under the price. Maybe then I'll get one.

"Windows 7 was my idea". Have you noticed nobody is owning up to Windows 8?
lorcro2000
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stupid move Microsoft made was to listen to the nonsense about how the desktop PC and laptop are going somewhere and then trying to create a one-size-fits-all solution for every form factor to stay ahead of that.

That was, in my view, moronic. PC's and tablets serve different purposes, you can't do photo editing or video work or design work or publishing work on a tablet, it's just not suited to the task. Most corporate work too is done in one place using a keyboard and mouse and multiple screens these days, you can't type worth a damn on a tablet without a keyboard, and with a keyboard what you have is called "a laptop".

Not even Apple has merged their software into one hodgepodge, they have two distinct UI options for the desktop market and the mobile market, and that would have been the way for Microsoft to go too. The Modern UI should have been in the tablets only, and the tried and true paradigm of desktop computing should have had its own UI. Then they should have made a massive push on getting developers behind Modern UI to take Apple and Android on head-on in the tablet space while simultaneously continuing to do work to maximize their already dominant position in the corporate space.

Certainly tablets need to be able to work as seamlessly as possible with a corporate Windows environment, but that's not done right if you cripple the corporate environment to enable that. That's just stupid.
kittomer
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how the mobile phone and desktop market are now thrown together as if that is a thing.

I've never done anything productive on a non-windows tablet, phablet or mobile phone.

They shouldn't call mobile software "Apps" they should call them "Fuckarounds".

Maybe someone needs to remind those people that see mobile computing as the future that not everyone's job consists of checking email, keeping track of appointments and taking shitty videos of inane things.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kittomer wrote:
I love how the mobile phone and desktop market are now thrown together as if that is a thing.

I've never done anything productive on a non-windows tablet, phablet or mobile phone.

They shouldn't call mobile software "Apps" they should call them "Fuckarounds".

Maybe someone needs to remind those people that see mobile computing as the future that not everyone's job consists of checking email, keeping track of appointments and taking shitty videos of inane things.

Seriously, how wrong can you get. Rolling Eyes
In the "real world" there is tons of jobs done outside by way of tablet devices, with their own software running on open source. The gas network (only 5.8 million customers) monitors escapes and repairs using tablets on over 74k of pipeline. The info is INSTANTLY fed to the HQ and then the desk jockeys get to work on a standard PC to do the mundane. The press, reviewers at gigs, shows use tablets to instantly send their reports or pictures. Net books are another perfect source.
PC will always be in works, they are connected for basic tasks internaly on the intranet but have no place outside in the dynamic world.

Surgeon live-streams procedure using Googlemglass and ipad
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262540.php

Seriously, just because your stuck at a desk, doesn't mean the rest of the world is! Open source allows so much more configuration in the utility industry, apps that provide training, can be used to control valves onsite (fire training) malfunctions can be simulated, etc etc.

As for the demise of windows OS, well if you hop on over to the forums, you'll see I posted consecutively online stats detailing the PC is on a complete downward spiral, it has the worst sales since records began.
http://www.ggmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24192
Since we're into a new generation of portability, tablets and smart phones actualy do more than a PC can, dedicated apps are developed by companies so that you can shop directly from them. No waiting for a PC to boot and load a web page , log in etc, etc bloody etc. instant on, instant out of doing something else.
The PC is a dinosaur now. It hasn't changed in decades. If it wasn't for gaming it would have keeled over years ago! Domestically. My rig is only on for gaming, my laptop hardly ever gets switched on, maybe once, twice a fortnight.
Work will always have them, but its like saying checkouts will always have computers running them. They are no longer important as there is other hardware used today.
Remember, every shortcut you place on your desktop is an "app" since it connects directly to the application .exe
How quickly people forget.....regardless of your opinion, the facts speak for themselves. We no longer need an OS by M$, we no longer need a PC either. For the 99% of the normal households, tablets and smart phones do it all.
The laptop you bring home from work is more often just that, the works! It has no admin privileges, and can't be deleted or modified. A function to an end. No one cares

I'm a technology buff, I own just about as much gear that I enjoy and my wife too. We have in tablets alone; 2 google nexus 7, an Asus tf300t, an iPad 2 and an iPad mini. All our mobiles are android too. No windows tablets or phones will ever be in our house.
Apathy Curve
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballmer is genetically incapable of listening to his customers. He's a money man first and foremost, one who sees customers as filthy peasants who should be grateful he deigns to supply them with a product. As long as that attitude persists at the top levels in Redmond, the company will continue to decline.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:

I'm a technology buff, I own just about as much gear that I enjoy and my wife too. We have in tablets alone; 2 google nexus 7, an Asus tf300t, an iPad 2 and an iPad mini. All our mobiles are android too. No windows tablets or phones will ever be in our house.

HAHAHAHHAHA Holy F'n shit you make me laugh you delusional fuck nut. You are a fucking bipolar fuck up Stumpus who thinks what he thinks is the reality and more than 90% of the time you are just fucking wrong. I guess some people can go on in life like bliss. I'll bet it's because you've had nobody actually stand up and say, stfu, you have no clue. Bet the wife just sits there and zips the lips until you shut up. Wonder how far off I am Stumpus. Technology buff. Your buff alright until you take a shit in the toilette. Fuck you made me laugh with your post. I better tell the company head to go throw out all our workstations and servers because the visionary technology buff on GG mania said tablets. HAHAHA, you actually made me cry laughing so fucking hard.

Honestly Stumpus, you ARE the only reason I come to this site because I laugh my ass off reading the crap you post here. I share it a lot of the time with others who laugh equally hard. I think though this post is the pinnacle.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction, Tom. I post the bones so you bite. Dangle the carrot and out comes damaged goods aka Tom. Fuck me bipolar, manic depressive highs and lows. You know what Tom. Stitch your mouth shut and teach your arse to speak, because you are truly as thick as what comes out of it. You don't even have the brain cell to research what you've just farted out. Bi-fucking-polar what a trouser fart you are.

You come here because of what I post? No, you come here to be educated. This is your adult learning classes. Either that or you've got multiple personality disorder. Which I'm certain you DO have. One week (or two) you work PR endorsing M$ Xbox one80 then its, no I don't want an Xbox. Then it's, I'm a pish parent and allow my kid to play and review 18cert games.

Tom, away and play with yourself. I didn't actualy see your name in my post, did you? Or were you playing word search.

What a complete waste of DNA......
To quote your dad, sheriff Bulford T. Justice,
Quote:
no way, no way that you came from my loins. Soon as I get home, first thing I'm gonna do is punch yo mamma in da mouth.
Laughing

What's wrong son, my tablet bigger than yours?
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude. Seriously, thanks for the laughs. I've shared your post already with others who swear you are one fucking hilarious, senile and delusional person.

Seriously, you should grab a stage somewhere and spew this crap. You'd kill will this crap.

Here's a pic of Stumpus with friends! Yep, that's Stumpus on the far right. He's saying, where's my tablet? LMFAO!

P.S. I don't come here for the gaming news.. c'mon this site has gone downhill over the years. I come here for your Tech Buff skillz and to educate myself. LLMFAO! God how do you shut this guy off.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came here to read what you two post Razz

:popcorn:

on topic
"Perhaps, years from now, people will think the same thing about operating systems, wondering how anyone could ever be willing to pay for them."

I am wondering that for past 20 years...never paid for any m$ product, oh wait, I did made a mistake once and bought some crappy m$ mouse.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Dude. Seriously, thanks for the laughs. I've shared your post already with others who swear you are one fucking hilarious, senile and delusional person.

Seriously, you should grab a stage somewhere and spew this crap. You'd kill will this crap.

Here's a pic of Stumpus with friends! Yep, that's Stumpus on the far right. He's saying, where's my tablet? LMFAO!

P.S. I don't come here for the gaming news.. c'mon this site has gone downhill over the years. I come here for your Tech Buff skillz and to educate myself. LLMFAO! God how do you shut this guy off.

The playground love ya, Tom.
I come here cause i love the news that hx posts. i also try and get my head around who is "typing today" To you, that works out as brain-farting your way through life. Bi-fucking-polar.......A complete dysfunctional mish-mash of soup poured into a carcass and called 'Tom". The true reason why this planet is fucked. Got a freaking cheek to breed!
So your a complete and utter troll that has no respect for what Hx posts and you come here to admit you just follow me.....? Your a complete pervert! A fucking danger to young posters here. Seriously, you've got a mental illness and if Hx sees this I would expect him to just do the honourable thing and kick you off this site. You 'hang about" here........ No life whatsoever, that is so hilarious. Because your so ill, you can't see it how normal people do
Anyway
You actualy showed this post to your "friends" hanging from the trees, cause they had to explain it to you, get it right..... FFS. Of course they loved your intelligent Bi-polar ( haven't got a fucking clue what I'm talking about here, guys) moment. Or was it just the use of a BIG word that they just love? You know the; can't dazzle them with science, so I'll baffle them with bullshit, moment. Pure class....what does it mean again, Tom, John ?? You poofter!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: