Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Gamers overwhelmingly prefer 120Hz refresh rates [35483]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Gamers overwhelmingly prefer 120Hz refresh rates [35483] Reply with quote

The chaps over at Hardware.Info have set up a blind test to determine whether gamers prefer playing at 60 or 120Hz on otherwise identical systems. The results were pretty conclusive: 86% preferred the 120Hz setup. Impressively, 88% of the subjects were able to correctly identify whether the monitor was refreshing at 60

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no shit, true 120hz and declining input lag and display lag times has been the best fucking thing to happen to flatscreens in the last few years.. I was missing my 100hz crt when I first got a lcd for fucking years...

I still think it sucks trying that have to put up with only 1920x1080 as the most common screensize, the 1920x1200 was much better Very Happy

"Their improved experience didn't consistently lead to better kill-to-death ratios, though. A higher refresh rate probably won't augment your mad skillz."

hmm I can kinda agree, its similar effect from playing with a high ping over a many sessions, and then going to a low ping. Someone who is good on a high ping would have gotten used to predicatively shooting ahead of hitboxes, and just interpreting opponents movement to compensate. When you goto low ping, and higher fps.. a lot of that predictive stuff you instinctively do to play better gets taken out of the equation. It really just gets closer to how good you actually are at the game, reactivity and probably more importantly how good your mouse/accuracy, general movement and style of playing is that will effect k/d.

You don't play worse though, and playing with something that gives you faster feedback and fluid motion on the input you provide and other changes on screen allows you to react faster which means there is room for improvement in your skill. Though I think it kinda has the opposite effect where your brain/eye relaxes and feels more comfortable looking at faster screens than slower 60hz ones.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, 120Hz is nice and smooth, despite what the arguments against 60 vs 120 say (they being identical).
I remember my Sony CRT doing 100Hz while everyone had only 72Hz-75Hz junk.
LCDs are getting worse and worse, I have to agree.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Iiyama 17inch vision master pro, diamond trinitron screen. It output 1600x1200 and could refresh at 120Hz at something like 1024x768 which was pushing it in 1995. Most gaming was done at 800 or 640x480. I remember the phosphor pixels were,like ant shit at 1600x1200!
The only good thing to come out of LCD vs CRT is weight and size.
Apathy Curve
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A higher refresh rate probably won't augment your mad skillz.

Can't augment what I ain't got none of, anyways. Razz
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koogle wrote:
no shit, true 120hz and declining input lag and display lag times has been the best fucking thing to happen to flatscreens in the last few years.. I was missing my 100hz crt when I first got a lcd for fucking years...

I still think it sucks trying that have to put up with only 1920x1080 as the most common screensize, the 1920x1200 was much better Very Happy

This. I still have only 16:10 monitors and refuse to buy that 16:9 shit. I still have my 21" CRT in the garage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: