Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Ubisoft disables Uplay download service [34973]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Ubisoft disables Uplay download service [34973] Reply with quote

Publisher Ubisoft says it has disabled the PC game download service for Uplay, its digital distribution and digital rights management service, after an exploit allowed users to download upcoming spin-off Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon weeks early - and for free. Users who downloaded an executable that tricked the Uplay platfo

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful. How do I get my games then?
This is why I did not want to buy into this crap in the first place!
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's times like this that I wish the Internet had stayed dial-up...
Then we would buy physical copies of add-on content, still get 'new' demos off of PC magazines, patches inc. and no one would be exploited.
I remember back on dial-up, a 600mb+ space game was released free (the guy caused a lot of controversy -black guy? Can't remember his name.....?)
Anyway, as dial-up was charged per minute, it was expensive. So downloading this game took me about 2 weeks. Thank goodness for GetRight. Game was crap! Lol
Evolvement of the PC has just shot itself in the foot. Multi DVD/cd burners- what cost several hundred for a x4 cd-rom burner in the 90s, are now cheap as chips! Everything and anything is pirated.
What a mess..
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with evolution. The problem's the greed.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
There's nothing wrong with evolution. The problem's the greed.

You've just answered what is fundamentally wrong with evolution, full stop.
Man cannot accept what he has is an advancement over what he previously had. He will always cut his nose off to spite his face!
It's always about personal gain, be it financially or one-upmanship or just sheer greed. There is always someone who will gladly screw it up for everyone else. By having a controlled Internet, that we used to have, it was very much an effort and at a cost to those that wanted to pirate for gains. Although very,very limited due to the fact doing anything monetary had to have a tremendous financial input by the person and the fact that very few people were interested back then.
Today, your phone is capable of high resolution piracy, you think nothing of downloading films, games anything in mere minutes.
If you had to sit for days doing it, you wouldn't do it, unless you were pretty sad and of course your bandwidth was hogged, which meant you couldn't even load a web page. Yeah, those were REAL days not that long ago.. No mobiles either and VGA, no HD or HDMI. Lol
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. Faster internet not only brought down "shady man in coats" selling you junk pirate copies, but it removed them altogether from the scene. No more crappy cinema made bootlegs, games that don't work due to this or that, no more profit for greedy bastards that used to take street corners and basements.

Not everyone lives in USA or UK. You say piracy, I say wider content availability over the internet.
I used to "pirate" over dial-up. The fact is - it was the only way to get to certain content. Content that was not commercial enough to get imported into my country by anyone. Most of the content still isn't, even today. My city (by western standards you could call it a town) doesn't have a single store that sells blue ray movie discs. I think there might be one or two in the capital but I am not going there just to shell out money for something that I can just download in an hour or two Razz And no, I can't buy it online because PayPal doesn't exist in my country (actually, today is their first day of business here), and using credit cards is complicated here (and expensive along side the fact that not everyone can get it)

Anyway, sometimes you need to break something to make it better. Someone had to die in the fire for someone to invent fire-fighting "tools". Those tools had to fail in order for better ones to come etc.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those shady characters were also driven by greed - either greed of their own or someone else's greed. It does not really matter, it's greed all the same.
Now those shady characters (just as the legitimate ones) have moved from the streets to the cyberspace.
There's no difference in their motives - only their means.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Yes, those shady characters were also driven by greed - either greed of their own or someone else's greed. It does not really matter, it's greed all the same.
Now those shady characters (just as the legitimate ones) have moved from the streets to the cyberspace.
There's no difference in their motives - only their means.

not these of whom I speak of, but generally yea, you're right. I guess greed is in our nature. I mean, no one goes to law school to be a lawyer because it's a nice job but because the money is good. (just an example of another form of greed)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: