Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive [34963]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive [34963] Reply with quote

On the latest WhatTheTech podcast, Paul Thurrott weighed in on the NeXtbox rumors shared some info from his sources. Apparently Microsoft is launching a $99 Xbox 360 codenamed uot;Stingrayuot; this November alongside of the Next Xbox.
According to Paul this is because the next Xbox isn't going to offer backwards c

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Transcript by Salromano:

Originally Posted by Salromano:
"The next Xbox is code-named Durango. And we have talked for a while about this notion that there might be another version of the Xbox that was just aimed at entertainment—a non-gaming device. That device was code-named 'Yumo' and they're not making it. They may make one in the future, but it's not happening this year.

"So the new Xbox that comes out this year will just be the Xbox. And I mentioned before they're also going to sell a new Xbox 360 code-named 'Stingray' that will be $99. And you might look at that as two things: backwards compatibility, obviously, suggesting—I don't actually know this for a fact, but based on the fact that they're making one—I don't think that the new Xbox will play 360 games. But that I don't actually know, that I'm guessing. But, the other one is that, $99, that's a real coo price. And so we know that the Xbox 360 does Netflix, Hulu Plus, yada yada yada, and you can make the argument that's kind of a low cost entertainment device, too.

"Durango is going to be expensive [laughs], you know $500, $300 for the subscription, that kind of thing, but you know, Blu-ray, blah blah blah, but the thing that interest me, going back and looking at some of the stuff I got a long time ago, it actually says 'must be internet-connected to use' in the notes. And that's all I have, but it does say that.

[Is that a bad thing?]

"I don't know because I don't know what it means. You know, when you look at some of the stories that were coming out this week about, you know, I saw a headline that said something like 'Next Xbox could be okay without an internet connection for as long as 3 minutes' or something like that. I don't even know what that means, so for me, Xbox 360 is almost entirely an online experience. Most of the games I play are multiplayer, where you're playing against other people online. Or you're using it as an entertainment device when you're connected to a service like Netflix or Xbox video, so that is an internet-connected device. In this phrase, it says 'must be internet-connected to use', you know, that suggests that you can't even boot into the UI and play—I don't know, I don't know, I don't have one.

"Originally, they were going to announce this thing in April—April 24—now they're going to announce it May 21. We know there are events occuring this year where we're going to learn more about Durango.

[And it's a fourth quarter release, right?]

"Early November, yeah. E3 is going to occur. BUILD is going to occur in San Francisco in June when they're going to talk about the developer story because it's a Windows 8 device. It's going to have the same, or basically the same, developer tools and developer APIs and all that kind of stuff. So I think there's a lot information to come, but I look at all this stuff that I've seen about Durango and I think, 'it's all positive.' I don't really see any bad news here at all. Like to me, everything I've seen about this is really positive. It's amazing to me that, based on like no information at all, everyone is like freaking out about everything. Aside from this online thing, by the way, the number one question I've gotten from people is, 'What does it look like?' Who gives a shit what it looks like?

"I've actually heard from, by the way not one or two people, several people who've said, 'based on what I've seen, Sony is going to blow them away.' Based on what you've seen? You've seen nothing. What are you talking about? No, but you've seen literally nothing from Microsoft.

[I don't think that's even a possibility considering how many people use Xbox LIVE... You're not going to have this mass Xbox audience jumping to Sony.]

"The problem Microsoft has has nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo anymore, it's Roku and AppleTV. The market for hardcore video games, the market of people will always buy the next Gears of War game, the next Halo game, the next Call of Duty game, it's fairly finite. It's a decent market, yada yada yada, it's not the market for tablets, it's not the market for smartphones.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it but internet connections aren't all that reliable in the states still to this day. Don't get me wrong I enjoy having the extreme 105 service via comcast but it's overpriced. I rarely if ever (never saw it come close yet) get the 20mbps advertised up and get more than advertised on the down which isn't that big of a deal. The price is absurd even though it was recently lowered in my area to a lower absurd price. The costs being weighed here I should get 100/100 not 100/20. Fiber to the neighborhood is available but took quite a long time to make it. It's still a day late and dollar short with subpar speeds. The same services bundled cost the same via fiber or comcast which reinforces the oligopoly concerns in the states. These networks have been subsidized off and on in the USA for over two decades that I've been around. Sonet rings in high density areas weren't a new thing back in the 80's so what the hell happened?

The new xbox being 500 bucks is a big deal. All said and done adding an extra controller or two plus a couple games you're getting dangerously close to that thousand dollar mark. Toss in a sub to live and the hope that what you already own on there is playable and you're pretty much there. You might as well build a respectable PC with what you can since your only option will be sales via steam/pirating due to the used game market being gone with it's introduction. It's all good though as your old controllers should work fine with windows. HD 7950's got down to about 250-260 AR on newegg recently which will blow through just about anything you throw at it and for a long time to come.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is the PC is going 'always on the net'. Steam games, of which I have quite a few, are stuffed if the net goes down-before going off line.
I'm just waiting to see if Sony stuffs M$ with not needing to be online and accepts secondhand games. That will be sweet! ATM, I have a few games that require no Internet other than activation. But it's getting limited and M$ is two faced in not supporting the PC with its Eggbox then saying it does support games. Then jumps on anything that saves it a few quid and controls the punter's every move. Typical.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played quite a few MMO's since the turn of the century. Many of us are used to always online connections within reason. The whole always online thing with little more than some social features like Facebook integration aren't necessary or even wanted especially for single player titles. Diablo 3 and Simcity are great examples here. I'm fine with online checks if you purchase a title to tie it to an account but the always online requirement punishes the consumer more often than not just like draconian drm schemes (starforce etc).

Anyways it's all good as I'm not a Xbox house. If the new wii priced xbox for 99 can be modded for usb or storage of games on the drive itself then I'm all for it. The more recent 360's though with the updates make me think no though.
djnforce9
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:
The problem is the PC is going 'always on the net'. Steam games, of which I have quite a few, are stuffed if the net goes down-before going off line.

Well Steam does have an 'offline mode' assuming you did not disable storing your credentials locally. Obviously you would need a connection to download the game but after that, offline mode should hopefully come in handy if your net is down. Other digital services like gog.com don't need any further connectivity at all since the downloaded game is 100% standalone.

That's still a step up from ALWAYS having to be connected in order to play your games. If Microsoft is going to do this, let us hope they don't get REALLY stupid and pause the game you're playing until the connection is re-established. This sort of thing is what initially got Ubisoft in hot water with their customers.

Remind me again why consoles need DRM like this? Sure piracy exists but you needed to have modified hardware to do so which bars you from all online functions anyway (or else expect an account and/or console ban).
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Steam has an offline mode, but the problem is you have to be online to disable offline. As in games upto date and already connected. if your net goes down and you launch steam -after it has gone down- you can't do anything. No net, no gaming? Well i can't, as i've tried it.....

Quote:
Using Offline Mode on a PC.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your PC:
Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)
Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played
Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the Don't save account credentials on this computer option is not selected
From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline
Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djnforce9 wrote:

Remind me again why consoles need DRM like this? Sure piracy exists but you needed to have modified hardware to do so which bars you from all online functions anyway (or else expect an account and/or console ban).

Because the new XBox is going to play games from the HDD not from disc, it's going to be shipped with a larger HDD as all games must be downloaded onto the HDD to play them; hence the constant DRM check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: