Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Tomb Raider Video Card Performance Review [34842]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Tomb Raider Video Card Performance Review [34842] Reply with quote

The chaps over at HardOCP have posted their Tomb Raider Video Card Performance and IQ Review. Here's a taster:

Tomb Raider's image quality and detail are outstanding. The Crystal Dynamics engine successfully used DX11 features like tessellation, ambient occlusion, and depth of field to display more lush and rich env

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing that my graphics card GeForce GTX660TI doesn't equate to their figures in the tests at 1920x1080p I have higher fps than them with FULL settings x16 and more settings enabled than a horse can shit on the cards own enhancements.
The processor is shit compaired to my I5 3570k (value for money) SSAO on Ultra. We all know that the I5 is the better processor for gaming as the i7 uses hyper threading, which games don't use. Waste of money for games and barely any performance increase regardless. Motherboards, RAM all factor in the equation
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I5 3570 vs I5 2500K... 2500K is better both in value and performance. 600 series video card, I have a 560 and it doesn't have a problem with anything I've thrown at it at 1920x1080. I can overclock my 2500K to 4.8GHz if I wanted too. Ask on most any game site what's better and people will tell you a 2500K is the better processor. Games support hyper threading, just it doesn't relate exactly to more fps.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except I have 3570k which has hit 5GHz on air. The features are what I want with my maximus v gene PCIe 3 and more features than a horse can shit.
The 560 is a mile behind the 660ti in gaming http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-geforce-gtx-650-benchmark,3297-6.html
I'm talking maximum settings too not just running 1920x1080 on medium. For a start TressFx does nothing for performance loss to me, compaired to other people moaning about jerky or stutter or crashes. It flows perfectly with everything on ultra and x16 x32 ssao anything doesn't matter.
Also I have the board for future proofing and instant one touch overclocking to 4.8GHz with my arctic cooler i30. The 2500k is a good CPU the 3570k is about 10-15% faster but you need to upgrade your card, any online comparison shows that.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you to stop reading Tom's HW starting from today. They do very bad testing. They take scores of cards they already have and then put them in the review scores of cards they test currently. You can bet your ass that 560Ti and 570 are running on a year old drivers in most of the tests there.
Also, judging by their scores 660~660Ti which is far from reality.
660Ti is excellent card and is at least 30% faster then 560Ti but it also costs twice as much.

PS. Any S1155 board based on P or Z chipset is as future proof as any Z7x board. Also, Ivi bridge i5 has no advantages over sandy bridge i5. Actually, it has better APU, but who gives a shit about APU anyway. IB is all about APU, just another intel "TOK" before the new "TIK" (and 1155 boards will not be "future proof" anymore when "TIK" happens, trust me.)
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't reading toms hardware, it was one of the first comparison sites that I found. To prove the point, regardless of cost, is that the 560 is toiling now when it comes to playing in higher settings.
For your information, the 560 ti costs more or the same as a 660ti
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_3?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=560+gtx+ti&sprefix=560%2Caps%2C225

660ti
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=660+gtx+ti&sprefix=660+gtx+ti%2Caps%2C197&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A660+gtx+ti

Costs twice as much? Don't think so....

Also, RAM and many other factors govern performance differences between ivy and sandy, you can't just wave a de facto wand and say a sweeping statement. It doesn't apply to my rig or someone else's, as people don't and do their own custom builds. SSD, SATA 3 etc,etc. differing performances and so it goes on.
As it stands, I beat the test rig they used for tomb raider with a 660ti, and that's fact.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, where I live 560Ti 1GB is ~150e, 660Ti is ~300e. On newegg it is 200$ vs 300$. Screw the amazon. Smile (you wouldn't believe the import prices on most of the stuff. Re-sellers are making 50% over the import+costs expenses in most cases)

and you are wrong with IB vs SB. APU is different, all else is negligible difference. RAM? I did some benchmarks (crysis warhead, crysis 2, FarCry 2, RE6) with ddr3 1333 cl5 and ddr3 1600 cl5 there was no difference in performance. It's a waste of money on intel platform. AMD does see difference due to a different architecture.
Oh and keep in mind I talking about gaming performance, not SuperPI and other e-peen software that I don't really care about.

PS. For what it's worth, I also beat their test machine with my 560Ti. Tom has old figures, and HardOCP stopped being serious review site 3 years ago. Their results are always sub-par for some reason?!
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus, you are the kind of guy Nvidia loves. Senseless video card upgrades just so you can say you have it. Oh look here is a review I agree with so I will go buy it. I don't see me upgrading my 560 any time soon. Nothing I play has stressed the card, been choppy or anything.

What games are toiling with a 560 Stumpus? I have no games with stutter or anything. They play fluid at 1920x1080 which is the max of my current LED. I remember someone telling me that Metro 2033 with DX11 would lag my video card. Guess what, didn't have that problem. FPS were ~55-60 and didn't bother even a bit. I paid $200 for my 560 like 2 years ago, it wasn't the best or anything. I just made sure to get a GTX and the fact it could be overclocked.

I'll let ya know Stumpus, if/when I upgrade. So far my i5/2500K, 16GB, Win7 on SSD and my LoWly 560 GTX is more than cutting it.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh, metro 2033 with those DX11 options enabled, dx11 AA... is pretty choppy judging by reviews all over the net. I remember playing it with ati 5850, and later gtx260, all was fine if I used normal settings but enabling dx11 fog would cut fps from 40 to 10. literary. Yes, That was on older cards, but 5850 is still a very good card. I haven't tried Metro2033 on gtx460 or 560Ti (no interest in the game really) but maybe I will...meh, probably won't Razz
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should mention Stumpus, while I do up the quality to max in all my games I typically turn off AA because AA is bullshit anyhow. Likely why I don't lag in much games. When you are going 1920x1080 with everything else maxxed, I'm hard pressed to see jaggedness in any game I play. Seeing how I play a lot of FPS, I'm usually moving and don't have time to notice.

Good point though gx-x. I remember arguing here or somewhere about Metro 2033 and DX11 and my hardware and how it was impossible to get the fps I was getting at max quality. If I remember it was simply because I had AA off. I'd have to check, it's still sitting on my disk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: