Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Crytek CEO: Next-Gen to be More 'PC-Driven' [34824]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Crytek CEO: Next-Gen to be More 'PC-Driven' [34824] Reply with quote

Crytek's CEO and president Cevat Yerli says that the next generation of consoles will have much more in common with traditional PC development, giving PC focused developers the upper-hand in creating games when compared to developers of the current generation who focus solely on developing for consoles. In an interview

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs to re-learn about quality gaming, and bin the infatuation with graphics. I don't care what format he produces for, the reviews of Crysis 3 were terrible. Back to the drawing board!
djnforce9
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: More PC Versions please. Reply with quote

Hopefully this greatly increases the chances of having a PC version of all major AAA titles (minus exclusives of course as I doubt Sony would ever release a PC Version of God of War for example) since it will take a LOT less effort to make them whereas now, PC's and consoles have completely different processor and even GPU architecture. In addition, hopefully this also means no more crappy "console ports" BECAUSE there isn't the vast difference in hardware. PC devs should feel more at home on all platforms.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, they're stuck with making games (much the same way as Unreal) and they are going to try to make money with licensing an engine to those that are creative enough to caugh up a new game.
Now, tell me. If someone's creative enough to make a new game, why would this engine be even considered? They'd want to differentiate themselves rather than be just another Crysis/Unreal clone. Minecraft gets away just fine without this engine or any other.
Crysis turned sour like Unreal did, you just need to move on.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all very well trying to sell an engine, but this engine has high overheads. Which means that it has cost them a lot of dosh to make. The problem with that is it 'scares' future devs away, as it limits the amount of PC owners that can run it to it's potential. Like Dead Space 4 was canned due to poor DS3 sales, Crysis 3 has not returned the sales that was expected. It's all well being a niche market, but it's a fat lot of good if it doesn't have a good game behind it as well as forking out to play it -purely for graphics alone!
Graphics have always been the penis extension of the PC world, it's boring unless it's a bloody good game behind it, even then there's a limit to what you pay to combine the two.
Dishonored and Far Cry 3 blew the competition away, neither have high over heads and certainly dishonored doesn't have graphics to write home about.
Says it all really....
except if your in Crytek's bubble of a world.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh, C3 on "low" works and looks (much) better on my PC than FC3. Also, for consoles it was tweaked so settings were even little further bellow "low" and it still looks darn good.

Also, it is far too early to compare crytech to UE2.5 and UE3 engines. Crytech didn't really mange to sell it's engine. I know of two games - Age of conan and that sniper POS. Are there any other?

On the other hand, UE3 is used widely, to mention some, mass effect series, part of tomb raider series, time shift and bunch of others really, the list is huge, take a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryengine games. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine#CryEngine_3_2
Nothing to shout about.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing indeed. Seems I was wrong about age of conan, weird, I could swear I read about it using CE2 engine :S
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unreal vs Crytek. Isn't even close. Unreal is used way more for games than Crytek. Saw Crysis today at the store, had to laugh, they had a million copies. Sales guy was like, ya I don't get it why it's not selling. I told him because it's a piece of shit. MOH is like $20 bucks now, used is $14! Still refuse to buy it. Sorry EA, go F yourself.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crysis 1 was revolution, at least in sandbox graphics. Not many games can claim that, C1 can. Is gameplay crap? Probably (meter of opinion, is GTA crap? ) but did it do good to push everyone else's butts? Yea, it kinda did.
Majnun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDonald's is eaten more than 5 Guys , better burger?

You decide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: