Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Ouya Console Running XBMC [34800]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Ouya Console Running XBMC [34800] Reply with quote

These little $99 console are definitely going to be a hit, not only with gamers, but also with people that want to use it as a media player as well.

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the author does not know that the bitrate varies throughout a movie, so looking at the frame drop during the intro sequence is largely pointless.
Fast-forward to an action sequence, and then check for frame drops there.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video imo is detrimental to selling this thing. Guy is blatantly lying. Oh it's fast.. BS, my android stick was faster going through movies. My HTPC blows the hell out of this thing.. hope it gets better. i like this thing but this video sucks ass and does a bad job selling this thing.
darknothing
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish i waited for this instead of the GBOX

android runs like shit on the gbox and had to disable android and flash xbmc only to get the fucking thing to work great.... ah well.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any HW running Ubuntu beats Android.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
This video imo is detrimental to selling this thing. Guy is blatantly lying. Oh it's fast.. BS, my android stick was faster going through movies. My HTPC blows the hell out of this thing.. hope it gets better. i like this thing but this video sucks ass and does a bad job selling this thing.

I've had the opposite experience with android based devices and sticks. The Rasberry Pi is still too slow for what I want out of the device. I'm not sure what the hell is going on but the googletv and android stuff plain sucks. I want something modular that I can tune to my interests and tastes like xmbc brings but most of these devices fall short in many areas. Roku is horrible for streaming my terabytes of data but has a great selection of online streaming apps. WDTV plays any illegal scene release and supports all the popular codecs. Streaming selection is light as hell with netflix and hulu plus being the only big thing besides mlbtv. Anything beyond that like videos off the web are a pipe dream unless you use a media centerto send it via dlna to the device. Oddly enough a media center (plex) is what the roku requires to make up for it's lack of functionality as well. AppleTV is 99 bucks and priced the same as the wdtv and roku and has a slick UI. It's a great device but without a viable jailbreak you can't install xmbc on it to make it what it should be out of the box instead of an itunes pimp.

Those devices are all almost there for a cheap head unit that gives the consumer the power and selection they want. The ouya I'm watching but time will tell if it's just another failed attempt at an android device. The video itself offered nothing worth watching as playing an mp3 is low on my list and seeing movies and tv shows in action especially bluray rips would've been beneficial.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Any HW running Ubuntu beats Android.

Beats Android at what? Ever try ubuntu on your phone? It sucks shit.

Ubuntu + XBMC on a good quality HTPC and receiver... Ubuntu sucks shit. No hardware acceleration unless you waste shit loads of time to get it working. Ubuntu and XBMC is a huge waste of time for literally nothing gained.

Baconnaise wrote:
Tom wrote:

I've had the opposite experience with android based devices and sticks. The Rasberry Pi is still too slow for what I want out of the device. I'm not sure what the hell is going on but the googletv and android stuff plain sucks. I want something modular that I can tune to my interests and tastes like xmbc brings but most of these devices fall short in many areas. Roku is horrible for streaming my terabytes of data but has a great selection of online streaming apps. WDTV plays any illegal scene release and supports all the popular codecs. Streaming selection is light as hell with netflix and hulu plus being the only big thing besides mlbtv. Anything beyond that like videos off the web are a pipe dream unless you use a media centerto send it via dlna to the device. Oddly enough a media center (plex) is what the roku requires to make up for it's lack of functionality as well. AppleTV is 99 bucks and priced the same as the wdtv and roku and has a slick UI. It's a great device but without a viable jailbreak you can't install xmbc on it to make it what it should be out of the box instead of an itunes pimp.

Those devices are all almost there for a cheap head unit that gives the consumer the power and selection they want. The ouya I'm watching but time will tell if it's just another failed attempt at an android device. The video itself offered nothing worth watching as playing an mp3 is low on my list and seeing movies and tv shows in action especially bluray rips would've been beneficial.

wdtv = didn't like it.. too sluggish and the interface at least on ones I tried, didn't like it. I also had mkv's that didn't work. Had the wdtv for approx 2-3 days and returned it.

iMito MX1 and other sticks - Didn't like it. Promising but far from feasible. Like this little box. Most use proprietary chips on it like the RK3066. Block people from making their own rom's. Playback didn't support 1080p initially and now it does and it's choppy as soon as you are in a big action scene. Overall performance in sluggish and with no touch screen even more pointless. Keyboard and mouse or using a tablet to navigate the screen stinks. A gamepad would be even worse.

Ubuntu - too much work. hardware drivers (as always) missing shit like proper hardware acceleration. Everything takes more work on Ubuntu and if on the off chance you want to play a game.. about all you got now is steam but it doesn't compare to a Windows pc. Not even close.

Zotac and other mini-pc - unless you spend $500 on one it's a total waste of time. Depending on the model you get, data channels or throughputs are major cut down. Then if you spend $200-300 you get one with some piece of shit hard drive you need to replace. Are you gonna spend a few hundred bucks to put a SSD in it? Whats the point?

To me after spending money and making returns, there is nothing better than a compact PC as a HTPC and it can play games on Windows. Combine the pc with HTPC and you are laughing. I know I am now. I watch all my TV through internet and I save a huge amount of money. Don't have to pay the monopolies for what I can get for free.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tom:

How do you watch TV over internet? I tried several apps on my PC but channels are either not working, bad quality (like 320x240 bad) or it's CNN or some other bullshit. :S
I like this xbmc and the idea behind it, but I also have no clue how do they get content in it? Seeing those series and movies in this video clip is interesting. I personally have never tried xbmc but my friend uses it on htpc but I am not aware of him having any content like that shown on this video clip. I think he just plays what he puts on HDD, then browse it with xbmc (using remote control for PC)

edit: damn, I have one hell of a hangover :S
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
why'd I out Ubuntu on a phone? Mine runs QNX, which is far better than Ubuntu or Android ever will be on a phone. If you don't know what QNX is, you will most likely disagree.

As for HTPC, speak for yourself. I have a Zotac with GeForce onboard, HW acceleration is fabulous, the lame-ass Celeron CPU uses 5-6% when I watch 1080p x264 with DTS-HD MA audio - and I have only 512MB RAM and a 40GB SSD... If you build/buy a lousy HTPC, or invest in the wrong area(s), then you made the wrong choice; deal with it. I have never understood why people complain about performance when they buy hardware that's below par.
Too much work? Obviously this business it not for you; ask someone else to do it for you.
Android for an HTPC? Meh, you're clearly not thinking with your head, you're just following the latest hype.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if QNX is better, why is it trying to emulate android? Why it has a market share of...well I don't know what it is, but it's probably very low. It does run great, no doubt, but keep in mind that it is optimized for one device at a time, while android runs great on a whole plethora of products. I won't even go into apps market...Also, Z10 has a hardware equivalent to my HTC sensation, meaning that it can run android flawlessly and should cost 50% less since it's rather old hardware. BB isn't really doing very well at the moment ant the prices for their devices don't help at all. I don't see that many people will buy Z10 over HTC One X or Nexus 4...
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QNX aka Blackberry aka crap. QNX building is approximately 100 meters from my building. I have some good friends/ex colleagues who work at BB. I had a BB and I since got a Galaxy Nexus I've never looked back. Seen their new phone and I agree with the comment of why they trying to look like Android. Be a cold day in hell I ever buy a BB again. Seen Apple and Apple TV too, zero interest.

@XBMC, sure there is a bit of learning to do, but it's not all that hard. I have local feeds of television stations I used to pay for that are appended to my XBMC. XBMC has millions of addons where you don't even have to go to Netflix, it's like built into XBMC. The Youtube addon is great too. A lot of the current TV shows I get via a torrent RSS feed through XBMC. Once downloaded, they appear literally instantly in my XBMC.

I'm becoming a XBMC expert. But this android thing they are showing you, the guy doing the video clearly does not know how XBMC works, fluidity wise. I found it choppy and looked to me graphically it was struggling. He doesn't show you action scenes or anything.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Tom. I will def. take a look into it! I do follow couple of TV series, having them updated would be very nice! Smile
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
Why it has a market share of...well I don't know what it is, but it's probably very low

It's not even selling yet in most countries, lol
Android has been around for years (was it 3-4?) before it picked up.

Tom wrote:

I'm becoming a XBMC expert. But this android thing they are showing you, the guy doing the video clearly does not know how XBMC works, fluidity wise. I found it choppy and looked to me graphically it was struggling. He doesn't show you action scenes or anything.

Yeah, the guy on the video is a dum-dum.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is not selling? BB was founded in 1999 and it's selling since then. Smile It never had big market share, first it was against nokia and motorola, then against palm and palm like devices + nokia, now it's android and apple...If they sell 100.000 units of z10 and Q10 it will be a huge success for them but will still get them bankrupted...No one cares about their services anymore, no one cares for their exchange server...you can set that up on android anytime.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
what is not selling?

QNX devices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: