Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Skullgirls dev asking 150k to create DLC character [34687]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Skullgirls dev asking 150k to create DLC character [34687] Reply with quote

Lab Zero Games is asking for $150,000 through crowdfunding to create a single new character for its 2D fighter title Skullgirls. The campaign will run for one month on IndieGoGo in an effort to raise enough funds to make new character Squigly as a playable fighter in Skullgirls. The full breakdown disclosed by studio C

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go F yourself.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
sounds like an extortion. What does the staff get paid for if everything is done by other people? In the end, two guys from Philippines will do it for 2000$ and CEO will buy a boat.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why we can't have nice things. Good intentions with kickstarter and we keep seeing more and more people abuse it even companies (gas powered for example).
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x: lol dude, 2k for the Philipines ? No, things in CG art is not that nice.
It more like 300-500$ for such a job, animating or modeling/texturing for most of the artists. 1 to 2 weeks, if you get lucky that those searching for freelancers are not abusive. Laughing
Its a fucking madness out there and no wonder CGFX people are on strike in the US..... but what about the rest of the world...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tride wrote:
It more like 300-500$ for such a job, animating or modeling/texturing for most of the artists. 1 to 2 weeks, if you get lucky that those searching for freelancers are not abusive. Laughing
Its a fucking madness out there and no wonder CGFX people are on strike in the US..... but what about the rest of the world...

Everyone is outsourcing. Even in Serbia where salaries are a joke I was replaced by outsourcing. I had ~400€/mo but that was too much for them to pay me lol They ended up outsourcing that for 200-300$, having smaller offices...I was told by my brother that used to work for a big USA company in USA that company had fired all designers and just outsourced everything to sites like 99designs and such and instead of 10 people working for 2500$/mo they got all they need for much much less.
One keeps wondering then, how do anyone except lawyers get paid over 500$ in USA when in most of the world same jobs are payed up to 500$, not to mention jobs like pumping gas or service in drive in, that is payed ~150$ here. And Romeny wanted to bring jobs back to USA...What a dreamer...Calculator made in US would cost 1000$ if workers were payed 1000$+ per month instead of 20$ (children in China Neutral )
Apathy Curve
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want to use crowdfunding to absorb all your risk and keep all the proceeds as profit? No thanks.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
tride wrote:

Everyone is outsourcing. Even in Serbia where salaries are a joke I was replaced by outsourcing. I had ~400€/mo but that was too much for them to pay me lol They ended up outsourcing that for 200-300$, having smaller offices...I was told by my brother that used to work for a big USA company in USA that company had fired all designers and just outsourced everything to sites like 99designs and such and instead of 10 people working for 2500$/mo they got all they need for much much less.
One keeps wondering then, how do anyone except lawyers get paid over 500$ in USA when in most of the world same jobs are payed up to 500$, not to mention jobs like pumping gas or service in drive in, that is payed ~150$ here. And Romeny wanted to bring jobs back to USA...What a dreamer...Calculator made in US would cost 1000$ if workers were payed 1000$+ per month instead of 20$ (children in China Neutral )

The key here is that americans don't on average make as much as you think. A vast amount of the population works part time jobs and usually two of those per day or more. Companies get around certain labor laws and providing healthcare by having people work a set amount of hours and never allowing more. All those people who lost jobs since the depression hit in 07' 08' if they found work it was waiting tables or other similar jobs. Median incomes for most areas if you go by counties is usually around 40-50k per year. That's middle class here in the USA. If you're married both parents will be working most of the time unless you have kids and one stays home for a period of years but things will be hard. Romney stated middle class was 250k which is an outright falsehood. Middle class has been in the 40-50k median income for more than a couple decades. Anyone making 100K+ can live just about anywhere like a king except in major cities especially if they have no children or just the standard 2.2 children.

Many are leveraged to the hilt or use credit to maintain their lifestyle and instant gratification even the middle class. It's surprising how many people here do this but I suppose it's the keeping up with the jones culture here. People are actually shocked that I own everything I have and some make more than we do (quite a bit more in some cases).

Oh and FYI a gallon of milk costs me more than a gallon of gas that's how fucked up the digital age has been to many walks of life now. Gas was up to 3.96 a gallon last week to give you an idea.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 40K/y sounds good me. I don't look at it like that. I was doing some research (bcs I want to move to US) and what I was looking at was:

1. $ for rent (800$)
2. $ rest of the household bills (internet, mobile phone etc)(up to 150$)
3. $ food (up to 150$ home cooking, some junk food, mainly supermarket supplies)
4. $ transportation (no idea yet I guess 100$ for gas, probably more, depends on the workplace)
5. $ basic medical supplies (no idea, aspirin, vitamin C, that sort of stuff)
= So I guess that's around 1300 bucks/mo. If I split rent with someone that would be considerably less

what remains is just a bonus.

And how I see that? This is what I would have now (let's just say I have more sources of income then most people here in Serbia but if I would ditch those it would look like this)

1. rent 200e
2. bills 130e
3. food up to 150e
4. gas 100e (gas is cheaper in US actually)
5. medical ~20e
= ~500 euros.
Salary: 300 euros.

See my problem? Smile Here middle class only exists. No fancy stuff, crap TVs, crap cars (yugos), crap clothing...
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay about that a month for just utilities. What about a job as soon as you get here? What state are you looking at and city anyways?

Well the balkans and serbia heh typical slav area no?
BoGGe
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
Oh and FYI a gallon of milk costs me more than a gallon of gas that's how fucked up the digital age has been to many walks of life now. Gas was up to 3.96 a gallon last week to give you an idea.

You have cheap gas in US, here in Sweden we pay about 9 dollars per gallon Very Happy
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
I pay about that a month for just utilities. What about a job as soon as you get here? What state are you looking at and city anyways?

Well the balkans and serbia heh typical slav area no?

well, utilities are included in those 800 for rent, that's what I was told. That's a simple 2 room one bathroom condo, nothing fancy. I was looking into buying a condo but it seems like it's not worth the hassle, utilities would be 400$ anyway. (You probably have a big house in good place and I think you mentioned 2 children...I am solo Smile I do plan to marry in USA but...not out of love at first if you get my drift)

As for location, I am looking at Atlanta, GA. I have a brother there who could help me out a bit, at least as a guide and a place to crash when I come from a 30 hours worth of planes, airports and stuff. He is planing on starting his business but if that doesn't pan out I will have to look for any job I guess. I am capable of doing many things but I lack university education so I cannot be very picky. I was thinking of something IT related, maybe network admin, or something like that. I could also work in service/repair of computers since I do that all my life and follow IT...maybe online support or call support (I speak English very well so if something like a bit of Russian like accent isn't a problem then why not Very Happy ). For long term I wan't to start my own business, design and print shop, nothing major, one or two plotters for printing posters (for like parties, events, etc.) I also plan on giving some photoshop lessons,advertize in neighborhood or something...I will access that once I get there.

But, I don't have to go to Atlanta. Honestly, I like sea and coast, I would gladly go to Cali or Florida and work there, any job as long as I can survive and not be on street. I could rent boats or something lol I don't know. If you have any suggestions, don't be shy. You are older then me and any advice would be welcome. (I am 33 btw, I guess you are a bit older judging by the stuff you said around here).

And you are right about Balkans...it's messy here. Hard to find a job if you are not coder/developer (and that pays ~1000$) or a farmer. Other opportunities are Surgeon, Dentist and that's about it. Everything else is way under-payed. I have some money and I can leave, most people can't.

anyway, if you have any advice or think you can help me in any way it would be greatly appreciated. dzunja at gmail dot com (no PM here on this board)
Cheers o/

PS. Just calculated how much 1 gallon is in Serbia: ~7$ per gallon here Wink (1.87$ per litter, gallon is 3.78 litters) gallon of milk would cost you ~3.5$ here. See how insane is here? It's similar everywhere in Balkans. Croatia is even more expensive but they have slightly better salaries.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas has always been expensive in Europe which is why diesel is a popular choice. Population densities are a little skewed as well except when compared to major cities in the USA due to urban sprawl and so much open land.

I have five children and own two houses (rent one out for extra cash). Currently in Florida but used to live in Illinois and grew up in Chicago. Chicago area is heavy on the polish/slav side as is my family. Outside Atlanta you can get some real nice housing for the money or anywhere in Georgia for the most part. Savannah is a nice area on the coast but might be a little harder to find employment compared to Atlanta. Florida is ok but has some drawbacks as any other state. Food is more expensive as is housing. I could get a real nice place up in Illinois for 150-200k that's much bigger and not as volatile in the housing market compared to here. Example my house was originally built for about 78k lot and all back in 1981 (I have the papers and tax info). It's a standard 4/2 you'll find here even today. Most are 3/2 or 4/2 unless you go gated community and pay through the nose. When I say 4/2 I mean 4bed/2bath for example. Before the economy tank in 08' this house would sell for about 350k. Currently it's around 100-120k due to the housing bubble. The property taxes were lowered to what the house was worth when it was built. One of the other problems I have with this state are the school options. I currently pay 5k and 10k to send the kids to private school because the public system changes the times almost yearly on top of offering a subpar curriculum. I'm very unhappy with schooling in this state. Colleges don't appear to be any better either. That's long term for you though.

I'll give another example of how the costs vary between two states I have experience in.

Florida

High premiums on homeowners or renters insurance
Less square footage with apartments or housing for the money
Higher food costs
Higher fuel costs
Only two major interstates out of the state and very little mass transportation for example like trains until you get around orlando or more north. Even then it's along the east coast to Washington DC
Schooling seems to be better across the board and reputable colleges in the state

Illinois

Higher property taxes compared to florida but much lower homeowners
State income taxes
Cheaper food by almost half in some cases
Mass transit much better due to chicago and you can take trains to popular areas for cheap
More square footage for housing per dollar outside of chicago or south with a stable housing market that isn't as damaged
Better food choices especially coming from Serbia

You might be better off sticking near your family near Atlanta. If you're some what of a bigot or a racist regarding blacks you might want to stay away though. Atlanta has a large black population. It's usually fine unless you're an aussie or kiwi as I find many of those folks would be labeled racists here Smile.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice and educational insight Smile

what do you mean by "heavy on slavs"? Heavy as in there are a lot of slavs in Chicago? (I heard, well, I know there are a lot of slavs there and would like to avoid that scenario. I am trying to sort of get away from that mentality, last thing I need is bunch of Serbs or other slavs asking me for loans, place to crash etc. because we are like that (usually)) Smile

And no, I don't have anything against blacks, yet xD Seriously, I don't even know any and I don't think myself a racist. When I hate, I hate equally! And I don't hate anyone really. No one gave me a reason to.

I rent condos here in Serb. I was thinking that if I do find an adequate living in USA I could sell those and buy myself something decent in USA. I am not a luxury type, I don't crave for riches, golden toilets, granite floors etc but I like hard wooding on floors (that's dirt cheap here, social condos have wooden parquette floors since the end of WW2...).

Anyway, I am still far from that, I have found some condos for sale online, I was checking prices but until I see those for myself and where are they located, how are they connected etc. I cannot really be certain if those are a bargain or just in bad neighborhood (ie. 2/1 with terrace, 3rd floor out of 8, pictures look very nice, it's furnished (IKEA style but it's ok) price is ~70K, there are other similar offers. Houses tend to go for at least twice as much, Atlanta area I don;t need a house atm. Obviously I have other priorities.). I am quite sure I will be renting at first until I sort things out and figure out what to do. I was told that owning a car is a priority so I guess that will have to be the first thing I will purchase, some 10 year corolla or something lol
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a car to get just about anywhere. That's a cold hard fact. My parents when they were in school and eventually college could take the bus or L train to anywhere and didn't need a car. If you're outside a city like Chicago or NYC you're pretty much stuck with needing a car.

Slavs I mainly mean polish but my mother is Czech/Polish and our family is quite big (really big). We're all integrated Americans here for the most part so you wouldn't have to deal with what you do in Serbia Smile.

If you can buy something and rent it out that's a great way to keep a steady income but it requires lots of work. The laws here might be harsher perhaps than in Serbia I don't know in regards to renters rights.

Your best bet when you do take the plunge is set money aside to pay for a furnished efficiency for a month or two. This way you have ample time to find work even if temporary and a more stable residence. I did this when I moved here. What I did was apply and land a job while still in Illinois. I then rented a furnished efficiency until I found a house in Florida while working here at the new job. My wife and kids at the time stayed at our house in Illinois (was tough for all of us). Once I had the house picked out and got the deal I wanted I had everyone move in during summer break. I rented the Illinois house out to a friend of mine who was just married so it helped cover some costs until finally selling it almost three years later.

It went fairly smooth all things considered.

PS the food in Florida is horrible as is Georgia unless you like BBQ. Food is what I miss most from Chicago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: