Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Unreal Engine 4 - Not As Impressive On PS4 As On PC [34663]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Unreal Engine 4 - Not As Impressive On PS4 As On PC [34663] Reply with quote

Seems Epic didn't get enough time to optimize it for the PS4 or the PS4 is still far from the PC. I should also note that Elemental was running on a single GTX680 on the PC. I also know that Elemental was running at 1080p and 60fps on the PC. Epic Games has not revealed the resolution and the framerate of the PS4 versi

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee whiz!!! A GTX680 is costing me between £400 to £491 depending on model. Considering a complete PS4 system is churning out graphics on par with a SINGLE PC Card costing that much, is pretty amazing.
darknothing
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider 30 fps amazing bro, however I doubt it was anything but optimization. The ps4 Specs are almost on par with my 1 yr old system and that ain't bad at all considering I have 0 issues with my games.

I can't wait for a ps4, I won't be upgrading my system now, rather have a ps4.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the constant circle jerk about console and PC. It's quite possible these large companies might go the Ouya route at some point and just release a newer updated version of cheap hardware every year and sell subs to games therefore cutting out the used market while locking consumers to themselves. I can see Nintendo and MS pull this off while Sony scrambles to stay relevant.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not touching a fucking things from Sony. F that. POS company who fucks over customer. I don't care what you say Stumpus so don't waste my time with your BS. I'll buy a Xbox or Nintendo before I touch anything Sony. How's that Vita going? POS everywhere and everyone I talk to.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry? I don't see anyone mentioning your name in this thread Tom, least of all me?? Though what you said has contributed nothing and provided zero input to the topic or thread.
Strange person and what you rambling on about????
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:
Gee whiz!!! A GTX680 is costing me between £400 to £491 depending on model. Considering a complete PS4 system is churning out graphics on par with a SINGLE PC Card costing that much, is pretty amazing.

I have to disagree with this as the comparison is an unfair one. A game on a console system is going to be much more tailored to that hardware than the same one ported or released as a PC title. This is a big difference being that you could be using such a small percentage of what you have available on a PC in comparison (even a low end machine). How is it not disingenuous here that we're comparing a game to run one one or two specific hardware configurations with another that has so many variables it gives you a headache? It's silly to compare the two at all since said game title can never run on the PC fully optimized/full tilt like on the hardware it was designed for.

My other gripe is the statement that a complete ps4 system can accomplish everything a PC can with gtx680 which is just false. You can easily get the same experience as a PS4 user with a computer and a graphics solution for the same amount. The myth about consoles being a cheaper solution is just that a myth. Nintendo is arguably the only console that's relatively inexpensive when compared to PC gaming and convenience.

I'm not even factoring in the cost of a monitor/TV or the actual usefulness of each device which further increases the divide.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you can only get the same comparison of a PS4 and PC if your current pc system is reasonably up to date. Not CPU gpu bound and a 64 bit OS. Since there are too many permutations of PC hardware out there, its harder to get a clean optimised setup.
So skipping to the original point being that two videos show PS4 and a PC running a gtx 680. And boasting that the pc is better than the PS4. So cutting back to you owning an up todate PC it's costing you £490 for the graphics card to emulate the PS4 or better it as a games machine , for want of a better word.
Whereas £490 will, I expect, buy you an optimised PS4 all in.
You can't buy a PC brand new with a gtx 680 in it for £490 and to also make sure you have a psu pushing 550W and two PCIe cables just to power it.
I could quite easily run the gtx 680 in my new system. Intel I5 3570k,Kingston KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 , asus maximus v gene ROG mobo, Seasonic 650W M12II Bronze Series Modular Power Supply (Ample +12V Outputs, Smart and Silent Fan Control, Multi-GPU Technologies Supported) , Asustek Xonar DX/XD PCI-E Low Profile Sound Card , LG BH10LS38.AUAU 10x Internal BD-RW Bare with Software. EVGA GF GTX 660Ti 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card. I already used my thermaltake tower to house it all, but that little lot cost me £700+ not inc win 7 64bit, keyboard and mouse and a pair of sennheiser headphones.
So £264 for my 660ti and swap the 680 is going on £900+
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're trying to include everything here to justify your statement when I explicitly stated that I left out many things. If you want to cherry pick parts and go over what you fully need then all I really have to do is add in the cost of a 42-55" name brand LCD/Plasma display. You're already 1500-2k+ in with a console plus add the 400-500 the ps4 will likely cost at release. Add another 100 or so for an extra controller and accessories. A PC core i5 2500 or better plus all associated parts were purchased during the PS3 life cycle so the cost compared to the PS4 is zero. I could still upgrade the graphics card at some point and keep that edge as well not to mention money. I'll even concede the cost of the TV which is almost never included in anyones figures and I'm still ahead.
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh lets see...

Because the PC can actually make me money and the consoles are just for mindless drivel perhaps? Or that the majority of games for PC are more intelligent than the largely on-rails mindless brain-dead dumbed-down entertainment we can expect on fixed h/w? Or that I can upgrade my PC without as much as a fart of effort really while the console stays stagnant for, of 5-7 years, which is like utterly mindbogglingly loooonng time in tech years these days where we see new smartphones or PC parts being announced pushing new heights every fcuking week?

Yeah I'm kinddda sorta thinking a PC can do so much more than a console for a long time to justify its cost.

You lonnng since lost the argument when PCs can move one's career far further than a console can waste my time destroying it.

Unless of course I ruin one's marriage over-playing Civ4 or that online abomination World of ShietCraft.. Gah!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Jesus Christ, thudo, nearly EVERY top game released on PC is on console, don't flatter your shallow minded self.
The PC ceased to be top dog YEAARS ago, only in people's minds is it worth ploughing tons of cash into and the subliminal messages that devs plant in your heads believing the graphics hyperbole. The reality, out of a work environment it's a bloody expensive games machine, I should know I've done it for 22years, building and customising my own. But I know my limitations now.
As a working platform the PC is and always will be king, but it has no intelligence level above a console when it comes to playing games. It doesn't somehow make you get a grades or a top job because you play games on a PC over a console. What a plain stupid comment from you.
Other than a mouse, keyboard a HD better graphics, there is NO difference between platforms except in bloody price!
I can play EVERYTHING out there on my pc, but its amazing for NO OUTLAY the same game appears on my PS3 and has for the past 6+ years.
If you think it's all to do with graphics makes the PC better than the consoles and a wee bit here and there? Then your a pathetic individual. I personally enjoy the flexibility of multi platforms; tablet, phone, console and pc. They ALL have a purpose and make your life easier.
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When consoles can make me money or be a productive member of civilization let me know and I'll invest otherwise its another great example of "Distraction Nation" making me dumber in the process.

Btw, I can build a pretty kick butt mid PC system for < $1200 that will always run circles around any has-been fixed-for-years console, always upgradable, far better interface (mouse/keyboard will always be superior to your tampon-pad aim-assist BS you've had for decades), and, once more, can help build my career.

How can you argue that console variants of games are simply "bastardized" versions of what could otherwise be done on the PC in a far superior fashion? Consoles simply serve it up faster to the ADHD masses but do single things well while the PC will *ALWAYS* do many things well since it has to and can change as the times need while console HOLD EVERYTHING BACK FOR YEARS.

I'm not a pathetic individual, sir.. just a far more successful one in the IT biz.. sorry.. Wink
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of holding back markets. Has anyone else noticed how the TV market has sort of degraded the PC monitor market? You're hard pressed to find a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor and usually pay a premium for it due to being pigeon holed into an ips panel. I used to be able to pick up affordable 16:10 panels and now they've all but disappeared because most of the cheaper and even mid range solutions are all 16:9 1080p sticker solutions.

Console or gaming in general why is it that we still have to buy a separate game for each system? If I buy dishonored for example I should be able to load it up on my either console or my pc. We're hitting walls here that should be eroding.

Stumpus and Thudo you two are great by the way!
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me: I like what I am seeing in the PS4 but in absolute no way could it never replace my PC considering how much more I can do on it for the price I pay.

I just wish games would be more.. intelligent and offer more a challenge but since the day when the market started "emulating" PC games into consoles back in the early 2000s almost every single console game is fundamentally designed to be, well, dumb while the vast majority of PC games, and even third-party ones, tend to just be.. smarter (like they used to be). Port it to consoles and it has to be diminished to suit/cater the masses.

I just can't remotely see myself sitting in-front of my 60" high-end LED playing Civ4/5 or <insert any PC game that requires more than a feral ape-brain of mind-power to be challenged by> for hours using those fcuking tampon controllers.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not about 'replacing', it's about making your life easier by having choices. The amazing thing is I have ps3 next to my pc, and plugged into my tv/monitor and they both get on... Like there's no conflicts or blue screens. It's all in the head thudo.
I have an apple ipad2 and top of the range asus transformer pad tf300t 32gb with keyboard and jelly bean, I also have a google nexus 7. What I'm saying here, in a mature conversation, is that I don't cut my nose off to spite my face-like your doing.
I don't care if you work in IT, what does that prove?? I know of several people in their late 40s who couldn't and are not interested in building pcs, yet they work on some of the countries largest network computers.
I've built my own pcs from win 3.1 for workgroup days and stripped and rebuilt chassis and customised my own machines as a pure hobby for the past 22 years. I still have my diamond monster 3d 2 mb on a pass thru to my voodoo 2 3dfx. And sound blaster AWE32 and a 1gb quantum fireball hdd. Along with my voodoo3 and matrox mystique , all fully working and
Still loaded with my old dos games and win catalogue.
The only way I don't choose systems is purely draconian drm or as a cash cow. The Xbox fits into that category with its shit Live! You don't need an account to play online with ps3. Tied down and garbage lack of blu ray. I use my ps3 for LoveFilm streaming and even the odd 3d film I can change the hdd on my ps3 with an ordinary laptop hdd. The Xbox couldn't do that over the last 5 years and probably still can't.
Anyway, if you don't understand any of this then you never will. But I think it isn't debatable, just sounds more like spite on your part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: