Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

GameStop closing 250 'unprofitable' stores [34581]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: GameStop closing 250 'unprofitable' stores [34581] Reply with quote

GameStop will close 250 retail locations in 2013, but open between 60 to 70 stores, including 40 derived from UK retailer GAME's collapse in France. uot;Closing 250 stores enables us to deal with the very small percentage of stores that we have that are unprofitable, but also to close marginally profitable stores and

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to love the, 'move customers to other stores'. How do they imagine doing that? For instance, HMV closed all 5 stores in our city (last brick and mortar physical cd chain) and the surrounding area. That leaves our nearest store 50+ miles away or going on hundreds of miles south. Guess what? I ain't going to those stores and will buy online at amazon.
They forget, this is about convenience. People don't do, travelling to buy games,CDs or whatever, now. It's expensive and stressful and not worth wasting a day. The profits they make will be where ever their stores are built or opened....but that's a Maybe.
Game didn't exactly close lightly, it was Huge. It also has kept some small stores open, but its stupidly expensive and going to fail... This is what happens when you have a generation that is brought up on owning nothing physical. Legal or illegal. Or game publishers and devs that charge exhorbetant prices that cut their noses off to spite their faces. Both on digital download prices as well as shop.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I barely buy anything in physical form anymore. Digital works better for me. I've got TB and TB of storage and unlimited/fast internet.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, so do i Tom. 120mbps fibre optic, uncapped.
2TB HDD, 3TB NAS can do what i want. This is obviously my age showing, but i like a physical CD to rip to my -high quality- MP3 player or play in my car. I'm not into buying individual tracks, that's like buying a single with a bonus B side. With a digital download you get nothing other than the track you bought.
Games aren't exactly tiny to download either. regardless of speed and then you have the DRM issue that requires a bloody permanent net connection. try playing your STEAM collection when your net is down for whatever? Or how about when someone else wants to play your game -yeah, come round and borrow my PC....not!
Music that is under 320kb ripped are just piss.
yeah, definitely an age thing.
Apathy Curve
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"An age thing"? I'm 45 and I haven't purchased a game, book or music on hard media in years. It's dead tech, in my opinion. My wife is 48 and she's the same way. My parents, both over 70, are avid readers and have bought only digital books for the last two years. My mother streams every television show she watches.

A personal thing? Sure. But it has nothing to do with age.

As for GameStop: Bye. Mind the door.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, 'experience'.
We too have Kindle and all our books are on it. but big difference to a game or music when it's entirely controlled by DRM. You can 'lend' books on Kindle and buy and share on up to 5 devices on the same account.
As i said, try doing that with games and music as a general rule -note; general rule.
And by not buying games physically your obviously paying through the nose by buying digital. I can pick up physical copies on Amazon a LOT cheaper than a DRM controlled digital download on STEAM for eg brand new. That's fact.
By the way, i'm 50 this year.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 44, haven't bought a cd in ages. Torrent or Youtube does the trick. As for games etc, I don't care about digital copies or DRM. HD's are cheap, I got like 10TB of space and Steam has it's own dedicated SATA3 drive. Space is not an issue. GameStop closing down stores is nothing surprising to me.

I got Borderlands 2 (ya i know, i got desperate) for 29.99. I was right too, it's boring as shit as was BL1. But I got nothing else to play.

Most games I get from Steam are usually 50% or more off. If Future Shop or Walmart has it cheaper on disk then I may just jump to the store which is a few mins away.. But 9/10 times I buy digital and I really don't care.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but as I said its all lovely until the Internet goes tits up. It's just being in denial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: