Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Gamers won't buy next Xbox if it blocks used games [34541]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Gamers won't buy next Xbox if it blocks used games [34541] Reply with quote

Bloomberg reports that, according to GameStop spokesperson Matt Hodges, the retailer has taken surveys of its customers that are signed up for its PowerUp Rewards program. The results of those surveys show that they would be less inclined to buy a console if they were restricted in their play of used games.

The Grap

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF (and that's a big IF) m$ truly does this, they will have a much bigger issue - console renting. That will put off their console sales. Then the question will be posed - Will we protect developers profits or our own profits?

edit: to elaborate a bit:
I owned an "internet cafe" where the playing of video games was the mostly sought after commodity. People come, pay for a few hours of gameplay and play what they want (what I have to offer, and I had almost everything remotely popular). Price was around 0.5$ per hour. You could complete first iteration of Max Payne in about 4-5 hrs on one of the PCs available there. They were middle grade PCs with, at the time, big monitors (17" in year 2001). It was a small cafe, 10 PCs so friends often reserved the place and came together to have fun. Most of those people didn;t even own a PC of their own.
Now, this was Serbia 2001-2003, salaries here were ~100$/moth (they are 400$ now o.O) it was cheap fun for them, and good profit for me. If new xbox will be like what they say it will be, I will gladly invest in 10 of them and have them running specific titles. When titles get old or out of deamnd I will those consoles together with games and buy new consoles with new games and rent those. I look forward to it.

Only problem with renting anything in Serbia is the "return rate" lol but goons are cheap here and people leaving some sort of "guarantee" for the rented console is mandatory since the beginning of time Smile I did a quick math, 20 eur per of console with 3 titles, it would pay itself within 2 months. 10 consoles with 3 titles each = ~30.000 euros if I get them rented for 150 days in a year. ofc there will be expenses like new controllers (warranty probably won't cover those), maybe even breakage but hey, even if it ends up at 15K euros it's a good business for doing next to nothing Razz

now you see that if you want to play one or two titles that interest you, it might be better to pay 2-3 days for a console when you have time for it then to buy console and games all the time. Hell, if I manage to get to USA by the end of this year I might just start that business there Smile Beats washing dishes xD and I do have some money to invest Razz

Last edited by gx-x on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
sikapossu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this has nothing do that gamestop going to lose shitload of money if there is no way to sell used games anymore Twisted Evil
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikapossu wrote:
and this has nothing do that gamestop going to lose shitload of money if there is no way to sell used games anymore Twisted Evil

they can sell used consoles + games that are locked to them! Even more money there imo.
Second-hand sales.
Apathy Curve
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't buy one regardless. Consoles are for children.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There. Ain't that the truth?
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apathy Curve wrote:
I won't buy one regardless. Consoles are for children.

God you are soo intelligent. He speaks without so much as a look at specs or uses but judges a book by its cover that has been around for more than 8years. A ps3 makes a bloody perfect 3d home cinema system or blu ray system. It outputs true HD DTS etc, but I don't need to say that, since its for children. Boy are you sooo immature.
PC's today are used by MORE children than ever, same are 400+ buck cellphones and tablets. Every fucking brat has an iPhone,iPad and laptop.
So that makes every piece of hardware, a child's toy, since children use them.......for fucks sake, man grow up.

Correction; GAMES of a certain genre are for children, just like on PC. Has fuck all to do with the hardware. The PC plays postman-fucking pat or Sesame Street as much as a fucking console.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: