Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Apple to be Steam Box's Greatest Threat [34486]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Apple to be Steam Box's Greatest Threat [34486] Reply with quote

While delivering a lecture at the University of Texas, Gabe Newell revealed that Valve considers Apple to be the greatest threat to Steam Box.

The biggest danger facing the success of Steam Box or any other PC ecosystem hoping to find space in the living room is Apple, according to a lecture given by Valve co-founde

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabe is lost again. Bunch of companies are going to be releasing "consoles" but they have nothing to do with PC but rather Android. nVidia is pushing their Tegra 4.
Go home Gabe, you're drunk...

PS. Apple market share is predictable. They have their fanbase and touching those is hard since they mostly only care about apple products. Counting on them to buy your products is like counting on "pirates" to buy 50$ retail games.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much right on the dot dude.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple a threat? Only if you think that the main audience for Steam-box will be snobs.
Apathy Curve
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm...

In this corner, one of the most successful and market-savvy entrepreneurs in the entire industry. In that corner... you three punters.

I'm going with Gabe. Laughing
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apathy Curve wrote:
Hrm...

In this corner, one of the most successful and market-savvy entrepreneurs in the entire industry. In that corner... you three punters.

I'm going with Gabe. Laughing

you got it wrong, I think. In the other corner are m$ and $ony, wish him good luck Wink
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to "own the whole room".
The first to combine the game, the gaming hardware and the wireless connection to TV (incl. audio and multi-player hotseat games) into the controller will be the winner.
A lot of physical limitations exist today, so there's still a long way to go.
But again, these are gaming devices that can't be used for much else - maybe browsing and skype.

If such controller did exists, I'd probably play some dumb games with the kids (provided they're cheap; I ain't buying anything expensive just for the kids to have fun), but I would still stick with my PC for serious games.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

android 4.2.x has a native support for wi-fi content streaming onto the TV's that support that kind of wi-fi connection. I am not entirely sure what can be streamed thou, I have to check it out.

edit:
here

Quote:
Share what’s on your phone on the big screen.

Android 4.2 allows devices to enable wireless display. You can share movies, YouTube videos, and anything that’s on your screen on an HDTV. Just connect a wireless display adapter to any HDMI-enabled TV to mirror what’s on your screen quickly and easily.

source:
http://www.android.com/whatsnew/

ofc, there are already some 3rd party apps that allow streaming over wi-fi, even turn your screen into touch screen gamepad in the process.

here: Kainy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGRTjYfaSSA

here is OUYA (gamepad with android and wi-fi) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU1zDHCU5yM - 99$ Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: