Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Microsoft's Illumiroom demo [34379]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Microsoft's Illumiroom demo [34379] Reply with quote

At Samsung's CES keynote today, Microsoft showed a video of Illumiroom, a technology that the company says will uot;expand interaction to any surface in your home.uot; In other words, it projects imagery beyond your TV screen for a more immersive gaming experience. Bullets fly out of the display, an in-game fire ma

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Venom1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ophthalmologists will be happy.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add claustrophobic people with white walls, white furniture, white everything.
Majnun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they took this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SixthSense

and made it pathetic and boring. Yay Microsoft!

At least they stole it and didn't have to pay anything!
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you take a closer look at the video you will see that almost everything is fake except for those "disco ball" effects. Scenes around monitor, while the guy is playing fps game, are fake and don't match what he is playing. I think that 90% of that video is just cheap video montage effects
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
I think that 90% of that video is just cheap video montage effects
So is Windows. True MS product.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
gx-x wrote:
I think that 90% of that video is just cheap video montage effects
So is Windows. True MS product.

well, let's be frank frank here: my android OS is way way flashier then my windows 7 Razz

Besides, windows works as advertized, while you won't be getting extended rendering of video game scenes/maps as shown in that video (incorrectly, if I might add)
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to turn off a great deal of flashy crap before you get a usable Windows 7.
Speaking of "works as advertised", Windows 7 does a lot of things nobody asked for (or advertised). Reporting in the background to MS is being one (that is, if you don't have a proper firewall).

But, yes, Android dwarfs Windows 7 in this matter.
I have to add that I have not used Windows 8 much. From what I've seen from W8, it seems to be on par with Android in terms of useless flashy junk.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
You have to turn off a great deal of flashy crap before you get a usable Windows 7.
Speaking of "works as advertised", Windows 7 does a lot of things nobody asked for (or advertised). Reporting in the background to MS is being one (that is, if you don't have a proper firewall).

But, yes, Android dwarfs Windows 7 in this matter.
I have to add that I have not used Windows 8 much. From what I've seen from W8, it seems to be on par with Android in terms of useless flashy junk.

but it has a bonus:

XD
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Illumiroom has failed.
Please get LightFX or a friend who will switch the light for you on/off."
lol
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love how it -amazingly!- distorts solid objects in the house!?!?! The whole unit beside his weeny tv, bulges and flexes with the scene. Sod the Illumiroom, i want to know where they get the sound reactive furniture.
This is a gimmick for people watching. When you're playing you wouldn't see any of that utter -PERIPHERAL- garbage. 3D is the only gaming medium that makes you react to what you see and do.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:
I just love how it -amazingly!- distorts solid objects in the house!?!?! The whole unit beside his weeny tv, bulges and flexes with the scene. Sod the Illumiroom, i want to know where they get the sound reactive furniture.
This is a gimmick for people watching. When you're playing you wouldn't see any of that utter -PERIPHERAL- garbage. 3D is the only gaming medium that makes you react to what you see and do.

it takes a photo of the room then projects that photo over the room but applies effects. I am not sure if it can look that convincing in real life.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
Stumpus wrote:

it takes a photo of the room then projects that photo over the room but applies effects. I am not sure if it can look that convincing in real life.

Ah, ok. So it more or less moves the double image of your furniture and creates an illusion. I can understand the flashes of light streaks to create bullets etc. It would work better in a dark room devoid of furniture but i can imagine a LOT of little johnnies (and adults) having seizures and epileptic fits with this, imagine walking into a room with all that going on?
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:
gx-x wrote:
Stumpus wrote:

Ah, ok. So it more or less moves the double image of your furniture and creates an illusion. I can understand the flashes of light streaks to create bullets etc. It would work better in a dark room devoid of furniture but i can imagine a LOT of little johnnies (and adults) having seizures and epileptic fits with this, imagine walking into a room with all that going on?

well....I'd like to see it, that's for sure. Whether I would use it on daily basis? I don't know, I don't think so but then again I used to hate widescreen and saw no point in it, but today...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: