Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Sony Patent Blocks Used Games [34344]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Sony Patent Blocks Used Games [34344] Reply with quote

Sony has reportedly patented technology that will prevent the use of second hand games on consoles. According to NeoGAF member gofreak, the patent application was filed on 9 December 2012 by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, and will work by linking individual game discs to a user's account without requiring a network

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Kompressor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how Sony invests so much research and development time, money, and resources on new and better ways of screwing their customers.
Thank you Sony! Keep up the good work!
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that what Apple has perfected? Being the ultimate Patent Whore?! Very Happy
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that these companies are 'going down'.
I mean, sales are decreasing.
If they don't want to go under, they'll have to use any means necessary to prevent that, including using lame-ass invalid patents:
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi, man your statement has no truth in it.
It's the same as saying "on 12.21.2012 the world will end".
Sony going down ? Are you joking or something, there are no facts to support this.
Sony's PS3 and MS Xbox are selling strong, still! So no matter what they do people will buy it! If they start to fail with this new tech, theyll just get rid of it.

But to say that the biggest corporation it this fucking world is going down, it's just not serious.
Wink
tiamat
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Csimbi is correct. Sony have been haemorrhaging money for some time now. They are far from going under but down is definitely the direction they are headed.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SNE

Do a little googling and you will find they have been issuing profit warnings for a few years now and announcing record losses.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony is a POS company. I wouldn't buy a thing from them. Bunch of crooks. Their products suck ass too. My PS3 was the last thing I will ever buy from those bastards and when they raped me when my Plus membership expired and they took all the software I got which was free I said. F THEM! Before that they removed OtherOS feature which was 90% of the reason I bought the F'ing thing, I even wrote them a letter and told them in big words to go F OFF. Would have loved to see the person who opened that letter. I make it a point when I see someone looking at Sony I walk buy and say, Sony sucks under my breath.

Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But but.. their next upcoming smartphone, the Xperia, could be the best and fastest phone EVA!!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart and Sony don't go together.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, you said it yourself that Sony is stupid and won't buy a thing from them.
Guess what. You're not alone. I'm one of those guys, too. Having purchased a Sony product in the past, I have my opinion now and I won't buy anything from them ever again.
There's a consequence to this, one that Sony did not realize yet - or else they would be changing their game.
Check this chart. (thanks tiamat! - same chart with 'max' span)
They've been going down since 2000 and today they seem to be back on levels where they were in the 80s.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why people are acting all 'politically correct', here. The PC is the ULTIMATE DRM king here and started the whole friggin' ball rolling! You used to be able, many years ago, to buy second hand PC games in shops like EB. Of course you can still buy second-hand DOS,old Win95/98 and some XP games on Ebay. But nothing worthy today.
Every fucking games shop; Game,Gamestation etc has second hand console games for sale and every fucking console owner HAS sold games and bought them on Ebay for years!!!
So what Sony and the Xbox will inevitably do, is nothing new in the gaming world.
But, guys. Don't go preaching that Sony,Apple etc are all of a sudden the WORST companies in the world....
Try selling YOUR second hand PC games that are DRM activated or digital downloads? Erm....didn't think so Rolling Eyes

M$,STEAM and all things PC have, and always will be, the ultimate tightest BASTARDS with regards DRM gaming.
Consoles, like PC, will become digital download meccas and less and less will be in shops. (surprised it took them sooo long)

But like everything in life, you DO HAVE A CHOICE.... support it or not?
I binned the PC for nearly 8 years; still play DRM free XP games on my old rig. But have recently built a new spec rig and bought into STEAM budget gaming (as in DON'T buy full shop/dev prices). Check the forums on a poss purchase and get a demo, it couldn't be easier -rather than go to a hundred other forums and get a lot of tripe. Patches are all automatic and i gave up all that PC shit years ago. Better the devil you know...STEAM et al are still shit, but i don't and haven't sold a PC game in decades, nor have i played a second-hand PC game in fucking eons!!!
So what are you trying to say that isn't the slightest bit new??

Everything you fucking own is tied to an account; welcome to 2013
Laughing

Also, Sony don't just make consoles -obviously... The PS3 outsells the XBox by a country mile in Europe and has just topped 30 million units sold.
How about Tv's,MP3 players,cameras,blu-ray players/sound systems and many,many more and the fact that they've had the worlds worst catastrophe in the Tsunami. Shows how resilient they are.
The PC has had the first drop in financial sales in 12 years, Win 8 is a flop, AMD is laying off thousands...and on and on it goes....
Everybody is FUCKED today!
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sad.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the law permitting the owner to make one copy for backup purposes? Surely you can make a copy before you insert your disc into your next sony console?
Also, this will piss people of. They will just opt for another console? It makes no sense to purchase a 60$ game which you cannot sell after you are done with it?!

As for steam, you can "gift" your games away right? So I make a deal with person to give me 20$ and I "gift" him a game that he/she wanted. Isn't that possible? (I don't know, I am asking. I have many steam accounts and I purchase games on different account almost every time, later I sell that account Razz ). Aside from steam, I torrent drm crap such as ubisoft's limited activation titles etc. Fucks given: 0
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus, whatever I buy if it says Sony, I wont buy it. It's that simple. I have no Sony products in my house as of last November. Also I can buy used games in various places around me. What I can't get used I buy from the bargain bin. What I can't get in the bargain bin I get off Steam and Origin.
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Tom, you said it yourself that Sony is stupid and won't buy a thing from them.
Guess what. You're not alone. I'm one of those guys, too. Having purchased a Sony product in the past, I have my opinion now and I won't buy anything from them ever again.
There's a consequence to this, one that Sony did not realize yet - or else they would be changing their game.
Check this chart. (thanks tiamat! - same chart with 'max' span)
They've been going down since 2000 and today they seem to be back on levels where they were in the 80s.

Excuse me but WTF ? you are looking at share numbers to SONY corp. SO ?
That doesnt show or tell anything about PS2 and 3. Doesnt tell anything at all, compared to their rivals. ?!?!?!
Their shares are going down a little, big fuckin deal man!
SONY is one of the biggest corps on this fuckin planet, lol!
Rolling Eyes What you are saying doesnt make any sense since there are so many factors to count when trying to make such a point.
Nintendo has some serious issues with their "new" console, as i read - not the case with Sony and their shitty policy about PS games etc.

And by the way! Ive aways owned Sony phones. Way better than Iphone, that Americans seems to worship (and not only, lol). Android FTW Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: