Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

TechNews - Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7 [34100]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: TechNews - Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7 [34100] Reply with quote

Real Life Holodeck - An
18-node visualization cluster
ering backbone for the Reality Deck facility. Each
node features dual Intel Xeon CPUs, each with 6 cores, as well as 48 GB
of RAM and 1 TB of local storage. The nodes are interconnected over
Infiniband and Gigabit Ethernet. Every machine contains 4 AMD Fire

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1920x1080 is useless; won't buy anything less than 1920x1200.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:

More important to me is 5ms response time. Bleccckk!!! 2ms and no higher for me. I wouldn't touch a Dell anyhow.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Csimbi wrote:

More important to me is 5ms response time. Bleccckk!!! 2ms and no higher for me. I wouldn't touch a Dell anyhow.

I don't play much FPS - there are only a few that I like (Prototype, Borderlands, Dishonored) - and those are quite good with 4ms.
IMHO, it gets bad around 6+ms.
Though everyone's perception is different. Maybe it's just my eyes getting old...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing is, 5ms ips is faster then 2ms TN due to that ISO rating being for blac to black or GtG only, while Blue to Blue on TN is over 20ms and less then 15ms on ips. So, on average and overall, IPS is more responsive. You can research it yourselves.

also, 1920x1200...only professional leftovers like dell 2410 and one budget dell (2412M) are left with 16:10. I doubt anyone will be making entry or mid range monitors with 16:10 aspect anymore since panel makers like LG, samsung etc. is not producing them any longer because it would require a standalone production line. You will find 30" models, but not cheap, far from it.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the price; I paid premium for this one at the time as well.
Was a very good investment.
30inch is a bit too large though.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a couple hanns g 28" 16:10 monitors last year. You're right though the cheaper e-ips and ips panels are usually better than TN panels but you have to read the spec sheets to see what the response time is for specifically. Flat panels are finally catching up to CRT's in that regard.

1900x1200 and 16:10 is all I go for for a monitor. The 16x9 crap being shoveled is largely due to the TV market and decent monitors are hard to come by especially in the $500 or less range.

I'm not sure what you're on about with Dell but they've come out with top quality monitors for years. Things may have changed but the e-ips/ips offerings are still fairly decent. I still own my dell 2405fpw which has around 10+ different inputs (minus hdmi as it was a spec at the time) and it's still running. The stand is top quality and heavy. It articulates any which way you can dream and had the one of the best panels made at the time. They sold this thing on sales for under five hundred for a 24" which was a huge deal years ago. It still trumps most of what I have that's years newer. Pretty sure I bought it around 2005 or 2006 which means it's six going on seven years old. Still runs fine and plays games fine.

Last edited by Baconnaise on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
-=WolverinE=-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently own Dell U2312HM and it's a great budget monitor. Good colors after calibration and low response time for an e-IPS. Don't forget that all TN panels have an input lag, so you need to add it to the average response time. There is no real 2ms TN out there and the best one is 5ms (average response time + input lag).

Dell are still great when it comes to monitors. They have a new range recently released with a glass in front of the LCD, which makes the colors even better, while mine is matte.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:

I'm not sure what you're on about with Dell but they've come out with top quality monitors for years.

I am not "about" anything Smile My last 3 monitors were Dell. I am just saying that e-ips class from dell cannot be compared with h-ips or sh-ips (s-ips is still more common name although even h-ips is better in many regards then old s-ips). What you need to know is who makes panels and what is implemented into which monitor by a specific brand. Samsung uses their VA that they manufacture. AS of late they will be switching to PLS. LG.Phillips is making IPS panels that are used by Dell, LG, Apple (in some cinema display lines) and so on.

Since there is a specific way in which LCD panels/films are produced, it is not cost efficient to produce both 16:9 and 16:10 and 16:9 is more cost efficient and more appealing to the market since it cheaper. E-IPS panels are actually worse now then they were before (my odl dell 2209WA had wider gamut, better response time, etc then my 2312hm has, and they are both e-ips)
So, for 16:10, let's say next year, you will have to look hard. I just tend to think (comfort myself) that 23" 16:9 is just a wider 22". Althou i would gladly go back to 2209WA (it can do 76Hz I shit you not, I used it from day one and it works) but they are no longer being produced. 2412M 16:10 is too (was) costly for me (sorry, I am kinda low on cash all the time Razz ) and is not any better (% here and there) then 2312hm. It will also go EOL soon btw. U2410 is great monitor for work but has crappy response and costs way too much + I am yet to see a bug free one (none has a uniform color reproduction, there are only ones with less or more noticeable color shifts) and for 300 euros it's kinda let down.

To be honest, what I am looking at right now are Dells with AMVA panels. Epic depth of black, better then PLS, somewhere near super amoled (no joke!), mindblowing contrast ratio to go with it (no, not dynamic) and 2ms response with no input lag. Viewing angles are good. Not like IPS, but better then PVA (most sony and samusung LCDTVs) and still a mile better then TN.
look for reviews on tftcentral.co.uk
-=WolverinE=-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x, there are rumors for a Dell IPS 120Hz monitor as well. If it turns out to be a AMVA, then the epic monitor will be legendary. Wink
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard, and quite frankly it's only a matter of time. Personally, I think monitors are to small for 3D. To me it's just a gimmick. :S
-=WolverinE=-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really care about 3D, but 120Hz is great for gaming.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should be better response and less ghosting. Not two times better then 60hz but more like ~20-30% better but that comes with a price.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I don't mind investing in a good monitor is because it's great for your eyes.
You're going to be staring at it most of the time, so it's better be good.
Let's hope that rumored Dell comes in 16:10 - I might pick up even two of them.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
The reason I don't mind investing in a good monitor is because it's great for your eyes.
You're going to be staring at it most of the time, so it's better be good.
Let's hope that rumored Dell comes in 16:10 - I might pick up even two of them.

there is no benefit to staring into IPS/PLS/VA as opposed to staring into cheap TN. It's the same liquid crystal display technology, each one with it's own twist, but essentially there are no differences on the eye strain. It's 2013 almost, we are way way past CRT tubes that vibrate and oscilate at 56Hz and bombard us with radiation. Paying more at this moment yields you more features, better pictures, better colors but those do not affect your health or should I say - eye care. Smile As long as you are not straining your eyes you are fine. That said, reading an e-book on a 3,4 or 5" Phone/tablet DOES strain your eyes and WILL hurt them. super amoled super expensive screens do not help, only a bigger screen does.
So I'd say that full hd 30" LCDTV is better for your eyes then 30" 2000$ monitor. Why? Well, you are not going to sit an arm length away from 30" TV will you? Also, 2560 resolution is going to make you stare at little letters, small text etc. something like 21.5" full hd monitor will. And in that case paying premium is not giving you any eye care benefits AT ALL! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: