Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

TechNews - Windows 8 now available for pre-order [33868]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: TechNews - Windows 8 now available for pre-order [33868] Reply with quote

Just curious, with Windows 8 looming what are your plans, if any? I've
gotten to play with Windows 8 a bit and it absolutely horrifies me. I
will definitely be sticking with Windows 7 as long as possible! Smile
 BTW:  You probably noticed we finally moved this
website to the new server. I

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site is much faster

In Russia cars don't hit pedestrians, pedestrians hit cars..
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeh Winshite8

I believe sometime during my WinXP days I said stuff about Win8... if there was anything good I might have predicted Microsuck would get right with Win8, I take it all back.

Pile of fking shit , Win7 will be the new XP...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Assuming it surfaces at the $150 target Nvidia tells us to expect, the GeForce GTX 650 Ti offers the best performance at its price point,

well actually, at 150$ 650Ti should be avoided. @170$ you have 7850 1gb which literally demolishes 650Ti, @ 130$ you can buy gtx 560 which is also better (especially with higher res and AA) then 650Ti. Also, radeon 7770 is priced below 130$ in most cases.
Add the fact that AMD announced price cuts for 7xxx series and we can clearly see 650Ti ending up in the dumpster or in 120~130$ price range.
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
Quote:
Assuming it surfaces at the $150 target Nvidia tells us to expect, the GeForce GTX 650 Ti offers the best performance at its price point,

well actually, at 150$ 650Ti should be avoided. @170$ you have 7850 1gb which literally demolishes 650Ti, @ 130$ you can buy gtx 560 which is also better (especially with higher res and AA) then 650Ti. Also, radeon 7770 is priced below 130$ in most cases.
Add the fact that AMD announced price cuts for 7xxx series and we can clearly see 650Ti ending up in the dumpster or in 120~130$ price range.
And before you draw the line add that AMD drivers suX big time, then a Nvidia is the obvious choice!
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't touch an AMD/ATI card with a 10 foot pole. Even as a HTPC video card (marketed to be capable) I got rid of the card because I was just sick of the bloated and crap drivers. Just wasn't worth saving $30 bucks over. A big regret to even had thought ATI could drive a HTPC. So I replaced it with an nvidia card and you know what? I've yet to have 1 single problem with it at all and it's still running with the original driver I put on. ATI/AMD is nothing but a piece of junk.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer nVidia but you guys are exaggerating. While I had my share of problems with AMD and would never save 20$ in 200$ segment and buy AMD, I would rather pay 150$ for a faster card then 170$ for a slower one just because of drivers. I also haven't been using AMD's CCC for over 4 years because yes, it sucks it's useless and it's crap. I just used radeonPro all the time and almost everything was fine on most of the cards.
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what man ? I never understood those comparisons with the PC components, or whatever else... cars for example.
You got a price range where you get the same thing, either way.
You say AMD is faster ? How much ? 1-2fps ? some MHz ? or whatever.
Who really gives a shit today about a couple of frames ?
When you got all the games that run on consoles perfectly, they run ever better on PC.
So what really matters ? 10 bucks of problem free card or 5fps more on performance ?
Since, you know, people use VGA's not only for gaming, this argument is not valid at all.

Just saying, that those reviews, comparisons etc. are just marketing strategies for big companies to sell more and more every year.
No one need a new VGA every year, but yet they sell them with milions...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nVidia is far far away from problem free. :S They recently had WHQL drivers that caused PC freezes on youtube. Go figure.

Anyway, I am not going to argue over this. I've tried lots of cards, some had zero problems, some had plenty. From both companies. I don't change lot's of graphics cards for my own PC, but I get in contact with lot's of them. Every now and then I get to play with a card from either nV or AMD that is brilliant and sometimes I get to toy with card that sucks balls. Last card I tested was some gainward gtx670 that I couldn't even bare to test fully due to the card being so fucking loud it hurt my bloody ears after two tests. I wasn't even interested in seeing what it can actually do. It also had driver problems which are not exclusive to gainward cards only. This is just an example of a sucky nV card for 320 euros that I would throw out of the window if I were allowed to.

edit: while I do tend to favor nV over AMD, some generalizations I just can't stand.
ggn
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using ATI cards for over a decade now with no more issues that nvidia cards have. Which either makes me super lucky or the people extra whiny Smile.

And about win8 - meh I'm fine with win7. I won't upgrade just for the sake of it.

Finally, congrats for the new server - hope you update the site for years to come! (frequent viewer of this site since 1999 or so!)
goatmaster
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just curious, with Windows 8 looming what are your plans, if any? I've gotten to play with Windows 8 a bit and it absolutely horrifies me. I will definitely be sticking with Windows 7 as long as possible! Smile

I'm disappointed that GameGuru has that above comment right on the front page. "Absolutely Horrifies" me?? wow, what the hell did you do with Windows 8 that could possibly absolutely horrify a person? Let alone someone responsible for a great gaming news site??

You know, I held high regard for many of the articles posted here, but after that, I will definitely think twice when it comes to application talk, maybe you should just stick with the gaming chat.

Let me tell you, Mr GameGuru, I game every day, and since using Windows 8 to test for work, on my gaming rig, I have not even booted back in to Windows 7.... Gaming performance is at LEAST on par, if not better, on Windows 8 than it is with Windows 7, go figure!!

The thing is, you would have noticed this, surely? did you test any game on it?? given that your site is, umm, about gaming? or did you simply install it, play for a day and your opinion is now made?

Cheers,
GM
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm disappointed that GameGuru has that above comment right on the front page. "Absolutely Horrifies" me??

Windows 8 is a kludge. Why would I want a phone interface on a PC? Rolling Eyes Oh well, maybe I'm really getting old...

goatmaster wrote:
Let me tell you, Mr GameGuru, I game every day, and since using Windows 8 to test for work, on my gaming rig, I have not even booted back in to Windows 7.... Gaming performance is at LEAST on par, if not better, on Windows 8 than it is with Windows 7, go figure!!

I don't have my own numbers, but take a look:

Windows 8 boots up quite a bit faster than Windows 7, that's all.

http://kotaku.com/5935337/lets-see-how-windows-8-performs-against-windows-7
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20107380-1/benchmark-tests-offer-first-hints-of-windows-8-performance/
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Microsoft/Windows_8_Graphics_Performance/1.html

BTW: every second OS of Microsoft will be failed or at least will not be a success. Here is the list. Windows 3.1 was definitely successful, Windows 3.11 was not. Windows 95 was successful, Windows 98 was not. Windows 98 Second Edition was definitely successful (actually the most successful edition of the Win9x line). The Windows ME (Millennium Edition) was not accidentally called for Mistake Edition! There were many good reasons for that! That is end of the Win9x product line turning toward the New Technology solutions. Windows NT 4 was a pretty successful story. Windows 2000 was good but did not worth to mention. Windows XP was the ever successful product in the NT product line. Windows Vista was the ever greatest fail of Microsoft. Despite the SP2, the Vista was unable hit the top. Windows 7 is a very successful OS, restoring the fallen honor of Microsoft. Now comes the Windows 8. Guess it, what happens? Wink
spectra9
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever get to use Windows 8 in the future, turning off Metro would be the first thing I'd do after install. I don't get why MS insists on using this UI in their desktop OS. In fact, this is one of the reasons why I skip Windows Phone altogether after using Windows Mobile for years.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectra9 wrote:
If I ever get to use Windows 8 in the future, turning off Metro would be the first thing I'd do after install. I don't get why MS insists on using this UI in their desktop OS. In fact, this is one of the reasons why I skip Windows Phone altogether after using Windows Mobile for years.

you can't turn off metro completely. You will still have to go to metro interface to configure apps, shut down, manage internet and connection etc. It's a tablet/mobile OS pretending to be something else in PC iteration. There is no real benefit in going to win8 from win7. Only drawbacks imo. In many IT circles win8 isn't even discussed anylonger since it's viewed as joke on anything other then smartphone/tablet devices.
spectra9
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
spectra9 wrote:

you can't turn off metro completely. You will still have to go to metro interface to configure apps, shut down, manage internet and connection etc. It's a tablet/mobile OS pretending to be something else in PC iteration. There is no real benefit in going to win8 from win7. Only drawbacks imo. In many IT circles win8 isn't even discussed anylonger since it's viewed as joke on anything other then smartphone/tablet devices.

Yep, to be honest, this the version of Windows I'm least interested in. Normally I'm itching to try the latest and greatest, but this one is just meh to me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: