Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Captain Star's Review For Doom 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptStar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Captain Star's Review For Doom 3 Reply with quote

Over the next few days, I will be posting my own review of Doom 3 on these forums as I get farther. Today I bring you part 1.

The Story: Doom 3 begins with a shuttle arriving at the Union Aerospace Corporation on Mars. The UAC has beem experimenting in weapons technology, biotechnology, and teleportation. After arriving on Mars, you receive your Personal Digital Assistant, which I will explain later this week. After receiving your orders from your CO, you are sent to find a missing scientist in an abandoned communications building. After a quick trip on the Martian Surface (yes, you get to walk on the surface, but with limited oxygen). You find the scientist trying to send a communication. He tells you that he must send it, or else Earth is doomed. He says "You must understand, the devil is real, I built his cage". Just then, a portal to hell is opened and demons are unleashed. The scientist turns into a zombie, who happens to become you first target. I wont spoil to much, but lets just say that eventually, you will go to Hell (don't worry, not in real life, unless you are really bad), and eventually you will learn some dark secrets about the UAC's experiments. Let's all admit it, a lot of you probably dont like Doom 3's story. But if you want a good story, then read a book. This is a game. You have to kill things, not learn lots of info.
I give the Doom 3 story a 9.5 out of 10.

Last edited by CaptStar on Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaptStar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i will be reviewing the graphics.
Many people find Doom 3's graphics revolutionary. So do I.
The game probably has the best shadows everywhere. The enemies look great, and so do the characters. But where is the bump mapping? If you look on the walls, a lot of objects are painted on. From far away it might look like bump mapping, but really it isnt. There are also painted on pipes at certain parts, and painted on shadows. But still, the graphics are amazing. The weapons all look good, the lighting effects are probably the best yet, and the physics are good.
Physics, what physics you may ask.
When id was first making this game before we even knew the word "Havok Engine", John Carmack said that it was impossible to make barrels roll, and creatures and people to die realistically. But after Max Payne 2 and Half-Life 2 and Far Cry, Carmack realized he was wrong. Like in Max Payne or Far-Cry, you can push barrels, push boxes, and move things, but the ragdoll effects sorta suck. When you shoot an enemy dead on the floor or with a high powered weapon, most of the time they explode into gibs and then they quickly disentagrate. What is up with that? The demon disintegrating part looks cool but not with zombies and people. But when there are ragdoll effects, it looks pretty good. Unlike in Max Payne 2 and UT2K4 where the bodies are as heavy as a feather, the ragdolls actually have weight, which is good.
The graphics I give an 8/10, and the physics an 8/10.
Stay tuned for when I review AI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> DOOM / QUAKE All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: