Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Warcraft, The Sims-sucking the air out of PC market [24958]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Warcraft, The Sims-sucking the air out of PC market [24958] Reply with quote

Gamesindustry.biz has posted some quotes from Eurogamer\'s interview with Lionhead\'s Peter Molyneux. He said that the PC gaming market is in a tragic state, with two blockbusters hogging sales and stagnation in the casual market. To be more exact, he said that two PC game properties, Blizzard\'s World of Warcr

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news

Last edited by ggrobot on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
amra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The holy moly peter might be wrong in this, I think.
There are some more reasons, why e.g. I don't buy a lot of stuff.
First the hardware, without the cash for a system that reaches nearly 4 or 5 years in acceptable gameplay-performance, I also spend no cash for the games. Second, I waited long time for the death of either blu ray or hd dvd, nowadays, after spending a lot of money on both, one gets abandoned, why just don't start with two this things? If I be sure of what standards will come, I will also spend my money on, in the long term, good supported hard and software. The industrie and especially the pc game industrie sucks because the next ww2, or what do I know what senseless kill-your-enemie game, has just too less innovation and power for attracting the wider public of players. Instead you have to do an major hardware upgrade, just to see more realistic destruction. So I guess these are the reasons not wow or sims.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reply amra.
People play The Sims /WoW for GAMEPLAY. NOT fancy graphics. Peter needs to relearn his roots.
Expansions come out and can be played on a basic machine -not any different from a console where the hardware doesn't change and you therefore have no financial outlay.
I'm disappointed in the blinkered way that devs view PC gamers, we are not pawns or idiots that splash out cash at every NEW game released because of the latest pixel shader etc....

What an ignorant atitude Peter has.
The PC is stagnant as a games machine, there is nothing original on it any more. Besides, games that do come out are very,very close to their console cousins (due to porting etc) and therefore are more financialy feasable to play on a console.
For eg Crysis -under it's expensive 'cloak' of DX10 and high graphics, once removed, is nothing but a very,very ordinary standard game.
Other than a mouse and keyboard it's PURE console. There is NOTHING unique about it that can't be done on a console.

The PC is fighting to claw gamers back by any cheap thrill it can think of -unfortunately it isn't cheap for those sparkly 'Wooo effects' Rolling Eyes

Looks like the gamer has finaly had enough of this 'must upgrade to play' cycle and is answering with their wallets.
Good on them! Cool
amra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx stu, you have also some good points.

"games that do come out are very,very close to their console cousins"

The question of playing a game today is not a choice between pc or console, it is a choice of individual preference for one of these.
And the ps3, if it is allowed to me to prefer it, is for just playing games a lot better than a pc.

But sadly I'm one of these mouse and old school joystick users, often resignating while playing with a gamepad, so I had to equip my 'to-buy' ps3 with keyborad and mouse. 8)

"Looks like the gamer has finaly had enough of this 'must upgrade to play' cycle and is answering with their wallets."

Hm, I don't feel like that. For the most of the gamers it's just a question of time to upgrade. Is that time long enough for some change in the orientation of the economy? I don't know...

And the be honest, because I use the pc for quite a heap of other tasks, I will save the money of the ps3 for my
next dual-quadcore double-sli pc and try to make the best out of it *going nuts* :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: