Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

UT3 PhysX Mod - AGEIA's Savior? [24592]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: UT3 PhysX Mod - AGEIA's Savior? [24592] Reply with quote

The chaps over at

PC Perspective have published an in-depth look at the implementation of PhysX in Unreal Tournament 3. Here's a taster:

The UT3 PhysX mod pack is a big win for AGEIA and their hopes of getting PhysX hardware in as many PCs as possible. The two levels that AGEIA released aren't the most amazing

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Majnun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, maybe I'm alone in this, but that's ok.

But, I hope the mod community completely IGNORES AEGEIA physics and does nothing with it. My graphics card does just fine without having to download and install some BS physics driver for just that. It's worthless and unneccessary crap that doesn't need to be on my computer so I hope it dies the death it deserves.
doodah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - bricks that don't look like they came from the walls and brown scrapings that don't adhere to the lighting conditions.. is that all Ageia has to offer!?
V-ampire
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite against this AGEIA's concept.

Consider the current hardware and software: the majority of time in a graphical intensive game is spent in the drawing phase. If you could substitute the main rendering function in a game who is making 30 fps on your hardware with:

MainRender()
{
// do nothing
}

you would see a jump to hundred of fps (virtual fps, of course).

So, the GPU's power is main bottleneck. This means the current cpus have a lot of time to spare to do the math AGEIA is trying to sell to you.
This is true on single core cpu, is more than true on multicore cpu.

We have 4 cores already. Now are you telling me a quad core, considering the 80% of the time is passed drawing the scene, and considering the use of shaders is pushing more and more work on the GPU and away from the cpu, is not able to do some math for the physics ? Is it so busy processing the user input, running a networking thread, and the usual braindead A.I. of current games to not have spare time for something else ?

A PC can certainly make by himself what AGEIA is offering, we don't need it right now and I don't see a need for it in the upcoming years with more powerful cpus/gpus.

The ONLY hope for AGEIA to survive is to be included on the same video card by nvidia or ati. But I don't see this happen. There's no reason.
darknothing
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very unimpressive... he shot some walls that would crumble.. and others he shot did nothing.. very lame.. the death of the card will come quick.
Venom1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally unimpressive and...
...Warmonger is one of the worst FPS ever tried with 10-15 frames per sec with all graphic settings on medium-low.
(with core duo duo 2.66 + geforce 8800 gts 640mb!)
AGEIA card? NO THX
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This card is a con, when the guy blew holes in the wall(s) the bricks that fell down stopped rendering *as soon* as the wall next to it had a hole blown in it.
It hasn't the power to render multiple damage and the resultant debris effect.
As was seen in GRAW, it's a gimmick to simulate huge explosions.
The particles/debris do not contain any physical form and just disappear when the screen gets too heavy. Now if it could actualy render boulders/bricks that hit vehicles/people and crushed them for eg, then it would be something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: