Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Multiplayer Preview [23315]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Multiplayer Preview [23315] Reply with quote

AtomicGamer has their take on the multiplayer aspect of one of the most highly anticipated games of the year. Here's an excerpt:

ed system is quite a bit more steep, so if you're serious about S.T.A.L.K.E.R., try and get to at least a 7000-level GeForce or ATI X1000-level video card, 3GHz+ CPU, and possibl

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
7000-level GeForce

lol, that's an interesting way of stating the card requirements.

Anyhow, as far as I'm concerned the graphic settings have nothing to do with the incredibly choppy multiplayer. I've put all my settings to low and the game still chops like hell. Close in combat is more luck than skill and you have to follow your blinking around you. Seems overall interest in MP has dwindled to like zero. All this past weekend there was literally nobody playing online. That's NOT a good sign at all, for MP at least.

Don't think I'm gonna get this until a few things are definitely fixed.
- sound sucks, almost as bad as Farcry. Not hearing critical sounds is a serious detrement to this game.
- with surround sound it's still hard as hell to hear any gunfire much less where it's coming from
- netcode and gfx inefficiences cause serious problems with MP
- camping when you finally get on a server is just pure lame. Use anomolies to flush em or add voice to the game so people can rattle off to campers to get them off server or get them moving
- more spawn protection, too much spawn camping is ruining everyones experience especially in the MP
- when buying guns, protection should extend the usual time of spawn protection. Right now you can buy a gun and get offed the instance you are out of the buy menu
- better hit indication can compensate for poor sound, something has to give here, give better indication or overhaul your sound system.

I like the game but it's pretty poor quality, even for a beta. To believe these guys have worked on it for so long I am personally quite disappointed with the beta. I can only imagine SP will be a lot better and that's truly the only reason I'm getting it, however I don't want to play and equally buggy single player game.
darknothing
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info xxxx .. how did you get involved with the beta?
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxx probably did the same as me, either that or he downloaded the client and plays via Hamachi servers Laughing
It was pretty easy to get into the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. BETA. You could get one from the 4 competitions that were running, or by e-mailing THQ directly for a key.
I got mine through THQ and 2 other spare keys which I have already given out to a couple of friends.
The fileplanet S.T.A.L.K.E.R. forum is currently swamped with people giving negative feedback.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I know people 'on the design team', I got my invite through e-mail.

I've hung up my beta testing for now. There are servers out there but I think most have abandoned the Beta since nobody plays it anymore. What's the point? kinda thing...The servers that did have people playing were coming in close to 180 ping..UK I guess.

I guess everyone is waiting for the next beta...
Nosferatu
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxx's arguments are valid. Yeah, there are some rough ends. But still, I enjoy it SO much on the lan! I feel like a kid feels doing 'tra-ta-ta' with his toy guns in the backyard with other little ones.
I don't know, probably most people will find lots of negative things in the game, but I loved it. I'm already saying "thnks GSC"!
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the reason it appears many have abandoned the BETA is because Fileplanet made 99% of the keys invalid for the previous client release.

Not a great deal of people recieved properly working keys unless they got it directly from THQ or from one of the more recent compo's, and those who already had the old keys didn't think it was necessary to re-apply for new ones.
There's a topic on the GSC forum regarding this.
The whole BETA and the way everything has been arranged is really disappointing.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, when I first started the Beta there was almost 60 people scattered online in the various servers. "Now" you're lucky if there is more than 5 people even playing it!! If they got in, their key works. I can understand 100's would typically be online but that's not or ever been the case. The last 3 nights for example, NOBODY playing.

Maybe I've had different experiences but most that get on and play think the MP sucks total ass and I can't argue with them because it's horrid online and gives a very bad impression of the game. But again talking 'online', I have no clue what the single player will be like, I can just only hope that it's decent.

Honestly, considering how long this game has been in development, seeing what it has... you really have to wonder, wtf were they doing.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with what you're saying, it's like they've been hitting up with vodka the past few years and spending pay on upgrading their PC's or something Laughing
Weren't they supposed to be tweaking the A-life system and making the game seem more linear? I can see why THQ pushed back the release date so many times.
If that's true, the SP mode should be miles apart from the experience MP has to offer, so in saying that, I would like to hope they put a huge sticker on their game box saying "ONLINE GAME EXPERIENCE MAY REQUIRE SEVERE PATCHING" Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: