New Super Mario Bros. [Wii]
When you have completed the game a 'Save' option will replace the 'Quick Save' option and allow you to save anywhere on the map.
Avoid any '?' boxes that don't have a spinning '?' on it in levels like World 2-5 as it is an enemy called a Blockhopper.
If you stand still and then Spin Jump on a dancing flower you will get a coin.
When you perform the following 6 actions during the game you will be able to gain the indicated amount of extra lives.
1) Jump on 7 turtles to get an extra life. If you are fast enough you can keep jumping on the turtles until there are no more to jump on.
2) Go to World 2-3. Just before the flag are some stairs with a turtle moving down. Use a precisely timed jump to continue bouncing on it's shell to collect up to 99 lives.
3) When you are riding on a Yoshi jump on the bullets 7 or 8 times to get as many extra lives as you want.
4) Kill 8 enemies with a star on you to get an extra life. If you are fast enough you can keep it going until the star runs out.
5) Kill 8 enemies with a turtle shell you will get an extra life. If you run fast enough you can keep hitting the turtle shell until there are no more enemies.
6) Freeze the Pokeies then do a quick Ground Pound to get at least 5 extra lives.
Unlock Auto Pilot Mode
This bonus feature becomes available when you intentionally fail a level 8 times. In Auto Pilot mode Mario will automatically complete a level.
Getting Stars on Your Save File
Unlockable How to Unlock
Sparkling Stars Beat the game without Super Guide appearing.
Star 1 Beat the game.
Star 2 Beat every normal level
Star 3 Collect all 207 star coins in the first 8 worlds.
Star 4 Collect all 24 star coins in world 9.
Star 5 Beat every level, find every secret goal and use all of the warp cannons.
Making Mushroom Houses Appear
Save a Toad from a level where he's trapped to make a Mushroom House appear based on the last digit of the clock when you finish the level.
Unlockable How to Unlock
Gold Mushroom House Clock ending in 7, 8 or 9
Green Mushroom House Clock ending in 0, 1, or 2
Red Mushroom House Clock ending in 4, 5 or 6
After you beat the game, World 9 is unlocked. Collecting all Star Coins in previous worlds unlocks the corresponding level in World 9. For instance, collect all the Star Coins in World 1 to unlock 9-1.
If you have 99 lives at any time, Mario will not wear his hat. Lose a life, and he'll put the hat back on.
Original End Level Fanfare
Beat the first level of the game or beat a level while rescuing a captured toadstool and the original fanfare from Super Mario Bros. 1 will play instead.
On multiplayer when you have no lives left, press the right button on the controller (NOT NUTCHUK) and 2 at the same time to hear a clown nose noise.